• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Doesn't Want to Move.

mbear

New Kit
Hi all!

I've just been to clean out my rabbits (both 2 1/2 - 3 years old), and I'm a little worried about my male lop.

A week ago we re-homed them in a shed with a built-on enclosure. We had previously kept them as house rabbits. Every day I have been going into the shed and feeding them and letting them out to potter around the garden for an hour or so. And every day the male has been keen to come out to explore. Today, however, when I opened the shed door, he was just lying in his cage and wouldn't move until I touched him. Instead of going out the shed door, he just went into the enclosure and lay down again, occasionally grooming a little and then settling again. When I looked in on him just now he was just sat down in his litter tray.

In the last 24 hours he has definitely passed solids and urine and there doesn't seem to be any problems with his legs - I forced him to move about a bit, which he did but kicking his legs out all the while and returning straight back to the shed to sit down. He isn't sitting in any unusual way. There are no visible discharges etc.

Obviously I will keep an eye on him tonight and take him to the vets tomorrow if there's no change, but I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Is he eating? If he refuses all types of food/treats that you offer, and he's still refusing it in an hour then it's an emergency and he needs to see a vet ASAP. It's good that he's still pooing/weeing, but if he's refusing food that's a really bad sign and he needs urgent treatment.

Firstly welcome to the forum:wave:
The first thing i would do is carefully check his bottom for fly eggs/strike as its fly season again.Thats probably not the problem but its a good one to rule out to begin with.Other than that giving him a general check over and keeping a close eye on him and making sure he eats,drinks and wees/poos and getting him to the vet as soon as you can.If he stops eating or drinking and isnt weeing/pooing then he needs to see a vet today asap

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. I just tried to tempt him with some food and he wasn't having any of it - very, very unusual. I'm going to take him to my nearest emergency vets now. I'll update this thread later..

EDIT: Thanks hoppetylop :)

Thanks for responding. I just tried to tempt him with some food and he wasn't having any of it - very, very unusual. I'm going to take him to my nearest emergency vets now. I'll update this thread later..

Well done for getting prompt vet attention! :thumb:

Welcome to the forum, and I hope your boy is feeling much better very soon! :love:

Great, definitely the right thing to have done! Even if there's nothing wrong it's better to be safe than sorry.

Do let us know how the little man is! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Sorry, just spotted this... I am glad you took him to vets... I hope they can help...

Keep us posted

Fee xxx

Hello again!

Just a quick update. The vet isn't sure what's caused it, but Gustav is apparently in the early stages of gut stasis. He is staying in overnight. I'm just praying he improves. Hi to everyone who has posted since I was last here!

awwww, poor Gustav... noserubs and healing vibes..

Well done you for the prompt attention.... my wee bunny had to get put to sleep with severe stasis and it was heartbreaking but you have been on the ball...

Keep us posted..

Fee xx

Hello again!

Just a quick update. The vet isn't sure what's caused it, but Gustav is apparently in the early stages of gut stasis. He is staying in overnight. I'm just praying he improves. Hi to everyone who has posted since I was last here!

I'm sure he'll be fine, you caught it nice and early and he's in the best place. Get well soon Gustav!

Well done on your quick thinking. Hes in the best place now and will hopefully be feeling a bit better after some veterinary care. Do update us, I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow.

Another update..overnight the vets couldn't hand-feed Gustav (because he's impossible!), but apparently he did eat a bit of apple and some pellets on his own. No sign of it coming out of the other end yet, but I suppose the fact that he ate is good news and he did seem to me a little brighter when I saw him an hour ago. He's been transferred to a regular vets for more of the same and hopefully he may come home tonight. I'm still very worried though.

Aw I hope he is back to normal soon. This happens to Truffle maybe a couple of times a year and it's always so stressful.

Back