• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mr Gizmo and Lady Moomin

BettyLu

Alpha Buck
Both are suffering terribly with flies, they're the two most allergic horses in the world, so this weekend they had baths with antifly shampoo :)

32B69C1A-08CA-4FB3-AD37-C41F00B22BD0-2205-000000F44E8E6D1C_zps12e96fe6.jpg

44C5D764-A2FC-45E8-9B1A-9A1B6916E9AB-2205-000000F46D0A38A6_zpsf7760838.jpg

Aww ,, poor souls..... Gorgeous horses but they do look sad,.....

Fee xxxx

As they've got older the flies bother them more. They have plenty of garlic in their feed and get coated in lotions and potions. Gizmo has his mask and a full fly rug as he is quite special needs.
They also have a shelter in the field to escape the bugs. They've definitely become less tolerant of the annoyance as they've reached their mid twenties. They enjoy luxury and peace. We try to give it to them!

Aww they're lovely :love: I used to have horses and used to buy citronella oil from the chemist and mix it with water, used it in a spray bottle. It doesn't mix with the water well but if you shake it up before applying it disperses it. I found it very effective with the flies. I used to spray them all over with it! Like you say as they get older the flies seem to bother them more :(

Aww they're lovely :love: I used to have horses and used to buy citronella oil from the chemist and mix it with water, used it in a spray bottle. It doesn't mix with the water well but if you shake it up before applying it disperses it. I found it very effective with the flies. I used to spray them all over with it! Like you say as they get older the flies seem to bother them more :(

I will try, thank you. Oddly the best repellent we've used is vinegar, neat! Makes them smell like a fish and chip shop but the flies loath it, and the amount we go through it's fairly cost effective. Those bottled fly repellents that are about a tenner each just seem utterly useless! I know people who stable their horses if they itch really bad but our two are proper out doorsy types and hate being inside, they find some peace in the field shelter, which is at least something!

Back