• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is food colouring safe to use on Rabbits?

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
We are off to the vet's on Tuesday with all the baby buns to get them checked out and sexed ( we have a rough idea what sex they all are but just want to make sure) problem is three of the black baby's are so alike we can't tell them apart and I was wondering if maybe we could use a dab of like yellow food colouring on the inside of their ears but I'm not sure if it is safe to use. Does anyone know? or anyone know what else we could use , it has to be something safe as they will just lick it off each other.

Thank You :D

shave a bit of fur off their ears..leave one as it is..shave ones right ear and shave the others left..make a note of which is which!!

The vet might have some of that purple-blue spray they use on wounds, I imagine that would stain. Jill's idea of shaving a patch of fur sounds less messy though ;)

The vet might have some of that purple-blue spray they use on wounds, I imagine that would stain. Jill's idea of shaving a patch of fur sounds less messy though ;)

Oh Genitian Violet Spray I use to use that when I had a horse on bad wounds I use to be covered in it for days :lol:

Food colouring is safe to use, it's used on rats pretty often and they groom all the time. I can't imagine nail polish on their nails would be safe at all. :/

My friend's mum was a dog breeder and when she had 20 near identical border collie pops (not all from the same mum) they had to paint the backs of their necks with nail varnish, a dab of a different colour on each pup's neck.

Back