• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Maia isn't well

fizabella

Alpha Buck
Yesterday night, before I put Maia to bed (at 3AM) and this morning, when I let her out, she seemed fine, running around happily and eating fine. A few hours later, she hopped back into her cage and wasn't very active for a while, I thought she was tired. Then she flopped down onto the floor of her cage, I thought she was just relaxing. It's only when I started to stroke her that I realised something was wrong. She hopped up and tried to go under her bed, but she fell to the side and into her water. I brought her out of the cage to try and see if there was anything outwardly wrong with her, I managed to look at her skin before she ran away, no scratches. She seems very scared and is running lopsided before falling onto her side and laying there, not even trying to get up for at least a few minutes. She tried to jump back into her cage and just headbutted the side of it. She has now lodged herself in between her cage and the wall to try and hide from me. I think something is seriously wrong with her, I don't know what though. :( Please help me

this is quite scary. would you say she has lost her balance? as it sounds like it and my bridge bunny was very similar and was on steroids which helped. i would call vets ASAP and explain situation and see if they can fit you in today quickly. its better to act now, rather than regret not taking action. thats my motto which i hope helps. good luck.

Yesterday night, before I put Maia to bed (at 3AM) and this morning, when I let her out, she seemed fine, running around happily and eating fine. A few hours later, she hopped back into her cage and wasn't very active for a while, I thought she was tired. Then she flopped down onto the floor of her cage, I thought she was just relaxing. It's only when I started to stroke her that I realised something was wrong. She hopped up and tried to go under her bed, but she fell to the side and into her water. I brought her out of the cage to try and see if there was anything outwardly wrong with her, I managed to look at her skin before she ran away, no scratches. She seems very scared and is running lopsided before falling onto her side and laying there, not even trying to get up for at least a few minutes. She tried to jump back into her cage and just headbutted the side of it. She has now lodged herself in between her cage and the wall to try and hide from me. I think something is seriously wrong with her, I don't know what though. :( Please help me

Oh dear it sounds as though she is displaying neurological symptoms. This may be due to either Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) or possibly a middle ear infection.

She does need to be seen by a Vet today. So you need to call your usual Vet's number and there will be a message giving details as to what out-of-hours service is available

Meantime try to get Maia into a Pet Carrier and cover the front over. This will help to calm her down as she probably feels very dizzy and disorientated.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

We called two vets, both are closed, she is now having fits. What can we do to help her? Please reply quickly :(

Sounds exactly like Leo when he had a stroke, we took him to the vets as soon as they opened and luckily we managed to get him help in time. I agree, she needs to see the vet asap, good luck x

We called two vets, both are closed, she is now having fits. What can we do to help her? Please reply quickly :(

There should be a recorded message giving contact details for Emergencies

Get Maia into a Carrier or wrap her up in a towel and hold her. Turn of all lights/TV etc as visual stimulation will exacerbate the seizures

whats your area in london? perhaps there are other RU people on here in the same area as you who know 24hr emergency vets. sending vibes.((hugs))

We've wrapped her up, she's squeaking in pain and is very limp, do any of you have the number for a vet that would be open? It doesn't matter where it is, as long as we can get some advice over the phone

we just spoke on the phone, i think she has died already, the vets said there's nothing that can be done. she's gone stiff and isn't as warm anymore. :cry: i don't know if we should keep trying or just leave her

:cry:

Can you see any respiratory effort ? Can you put an ear to her chest to check for a heartbeat ? It does sound as though she has gone :cry: I am really sorry :cry:

It will only be a small consolation for you at this time, but at least you were with her. That would have been of some comfort to poor Maia xx

Back