• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metronidazole/Flagyl

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Those who use it, how much do you pay for it? Have you found anywhere to buy it online?
Grim is on it long term now and my last 100ml bottle (which lasts him a month) cost me £53! :shock:

I want to ask my vet for a prescription to get it somewhere else, but I can't seem to find the oral suspension anywhere.

Wow! Santa always had it in tablet form which I crushed and syringed her in echinacea and water so I have no idea how much the oral suspension costs, sorry. It looks as if buying it (with private prescription) from a human chemist would be about £15 for a 100ml bottle - don't know if there is a specific animal version or not, though, or if an online chemist would accept a veterinary prescription for it. Both chemist direct and lloyds pharmacy stock the human version for online sales.

I have a 10ml bottle of oral suspension Flagyl previously used for one of our rabbits and the cost was $19.25 or £11.70. I bought it from the local chemist with a prescription from the vet. Here it is a prescription only medicine so I don't know if that is the same in the UK but the price difference is hard to reconcile.

I tried to get chloramphenicol eye drops from the pharmacist with a vet prescription and they said there is no way they can do it do to some law or another.
I'll ask the vets about tablets, but as this is working I'm a bit worried to change it. It's just so expensive. I'm sure it never used to be that much. :?
It's costing me £100 a month for just metacam and metronidazole so I need to change that.

I tried to get chloramphenicol eye drops from the pharmacist with a vet prescription and they said there is no way they can do it do to some law or another.
I'll ask the vets about tablets, but as this is working I'm a bit worried to change it. It's just so expensive. I'm sure it never used to be that much. :?
It's costing me £100 a month for just metacam and metronidazole so I need to change that.

We have taken vet prescriptions to three different pharmacies in town without a problem in recent years. in fact one pharmacy has a poster in the window saying buy your vet drugs here to save money, so it had to be legal!

Last edited:
The bottle I had from the vet (probably around 2 years ago now) was quite cheap (can't remember how much - around £8- £10 /100ml) and it was a human paediatric solution.

Back