• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please delete

I know, sometimes I even end up ranting about it!I just think that people miss out on how amazing they are. Everyone who has met my two think they are amazing pets so I guess I have opened up their eyes to what amazing creatures bunnies are!

It is good that people can talk on here about how amazing they are :)

I know, sometimes I even end up ranting about it!I just think that people miss out on how amazing they are. Everyone who has met my two think they are amazing pets so I guess I have opened up their eyes to what amazing creatures bunnies are!

It is good that people can talk on here about how amazing they are :)

People say to me they aren't real pets

I agree, I work in a rescue that takes in rabbits and sometimes it is just :cry: the number of times we have people come in to 'buy a rabbit' and when we explain the minimum hutch requirements and donations ect they turn their noses up and say 'we are not doing that for 'just' a rabbit?' Or worse they play along and agree but it's plain that we will never see them again and that they will be stopping at pets at home on the way home. :(

Or the state some buns are when they come in :(

We had one (I reckon she is a conti cross, stunning but very nervous bun) brought in last week because 'she eats too much' :shock: :(

Of course we get the other side of the coin... The people who come in looking for a partner bun for one of theirs and show off the 10x4 home made bunny palace that they have copious pictures of :p or the people who come in and when we explain why their is a minimum hutch requirement they go away and buy much bigger as they took the 'bigger is always better' thing to heart!

Last edited:
That is crazy! How are they not real pets???Anyone who has a rabbit knows they are affectionate, sociable creatures!

That is why they are overlooked and mistreated because people underestimate the needs of rabbits :(

That is the worst excuse in the world! I can only imagine what you see on a daily basis. When we rescued Jasmine from someone on gumtree she weighed 1.3 kilos, Jasmine is a dwarf lop and now weighs 2.4 kilos, she was so underweight they had no idea what they were doing. She hadn't been handled, or brushed. Not spayed or vaccinated. She is now healthy, and happy. She came with a ferplast cage which she clearly had never been let out of. It infuriated me. I really admire rescues so well done you :)

It truly is a shame that so many people are unaware of the wonderful relationship you can have with a rabbit.

We love our two buns who we have had for nearly five years, they live outside but are incredibly friendly and sociable, love attention and give us hours of entertainment.

This February we took in a little stray bunny who, judging by his skinny ribs, scabs and wounds hadn't had the best start in life, he took up residence in our front room. He has settled in and grown up, been neutered and vaccinated, he could not be a lovelier rabbit - he too is super friendly, loves to lay next to you on the floor, sit on your lap or just on the chair next to you in the kitchen, he begs for food at the fridge, loves to be in the thick of whatever the family is doing, he sits for hours for nose rubs and strokes and in return he grooms us all, methodically washing feed, eggs and hands. My friend sas he landed on his paws here (she always says she wants to come back as one of our rabbits) but I often think of his previous family who didn't come looking for him when he strayed and think what a lovely bun they are missing out on.

I do my best to spread the word about how wonderful they are.

Aww Dustyrabbit that is a lovely story and so glad that the stray now has such an amazing life. He really has landed on his paws with you! Well done you, and that is what is sad if only those people had been attached to their rabbit they would have experienced what you do.

They are such amazing creatures, I love the little bump they give you when they want attention and how they settle and shift around to get comfy when you stroke them. It makes my heart melt.

They are so clever too, Jasmine is clicker trained and can do tricks. She always binky's when we do it with her I think she thinks it is a game. I also play chase with her. I crawl round on my hands and knees and she follows me. It is hilarious.

It makes me angry too. The problem is your average joe bloggs goes to a pet shop buys a rabbit, then realises that they do not particularly like being picked up, that when they have hormones they can get aggressive and instead of perhaps googling and taking rabbit to a vet they give it away.

I just wish people were more informed.

Hugo came from Furry Friends rescue and I loved the fact that I had to satisfy lots of criteria before I could take him on, it made me proud that I was a good a mummy to him as I could be. In fact they took one look at Jasmine's pet carrier and the vet bed we cut especially for it, her beautiful coat and bright eyes and said how clearly spoilt she was :)

Have you seen the new show on lifestyle food that a ugly old witch looking woman wants "to get you in the habit if eating rabbit"? I literally take shooter out of the room when the advert comes on!!!

Back