• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit is smelling and biting at her hutch

JoTG

New Kit
Hi I have had my 10 week old LionheadxPolish rabbit for a month now, at first she loved being handled and cuddled, but lately I've noticed she isn't keen on being handled, and has started chewing the inside of her hutch. I've provided a lot of chew toys for her to gnaw on and her diet is as recommended by my vet. I also noticed the other day when I brought her out of her hutch for a run, she was smelling quite pungent...given I clean her hutch daily and replace the woodahavings etc, I'm at a loss as to why she would smell so bad....she hasn't had diarrhoea and was binkying like mad for a good hour and a half so appears well in herself....any advice appreciated please, she is my first rabbit, is she wanting more company? Or is she just being shy?? Help

Hi :wave:

Their wee can be quite strong smelling before they're neutered, which I guess she isn't yet as she's quite young?
Once she has been had you thought about getting her a friend? She probably does want more company but of the bunny variety! Best thing to stop them getting bored and destructive is a friend :)

Most of us don't use wood shavings as they can cause breathing problems in some buns and just using newspaper and hay in her litter tray is much easier to clean, although some people use wood based cat litter or megazorb to soak the wee up on top of newspaper.

Hi :wave:

Their wee can be quite strong smelling before they're neutered, which I guess she isn't yet as she's quite young?
Once she has been had you thought about getting her a friend? She probably does want more company but of the bunny variety! Best thing to stop them getting bored and destructive is a friend :)

Most of us don't use wood shavings as they can cause breathing problems in some buns and just using newspaper and hay in her litter tray is much easier to clean, although some people use wood based cat litter or megazorb to soak the wee up on top of newspaper.
Thankyou for that, I hadn't thought about using anything other than woodshavings and they hay for her bedding, she's such a little diva....I have considered getting her another female friend, but weren't sure if that would be wise yet? I don't like the thought of her being bored lol, she's always out either in her run outdoors or in the house happily playing away.....just want to make sure I'm doing the things the right way

Yes it's usually best to wait to bond her with another bun until she's been spayed as she'll be hormonal and grumpy until then.

It sounds like she's just a bit bored when she's in her hutch then? Is her hutch outdoors? If she has permanent access to a run she may be less chewy, especially if she has hiding places and toys to chew.

Can we see some pics of her? She looks very cute in your avatar!

The other thing is the size of the hutch, smaller hutches will get smellier faster. What size does she have, do you have a pic?

Back