• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It is breaking my heart.

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
I am so exhausted and frustrated beyond belief. Okay.............I am venting again..............hope that is okay.
I swear that I have spent practically every waking moment the last few weeks,worrying,nursing and in general trying to figure out how to help and make Julie's life better.
The time spent is not what is so upsetting and frustrating. I love her more than I can express as most of you must well know and understand. I'd do anything for her and cherish every minute with her. It is the fact that no matter what I do, I can't seem to really make things better for her for long before something else seems to pop up again. It is breaking my heart. She can barely hop from her arthritis today and I have no idea if her tooth is bothering her again because her right eye is gooey which I know can be a sign of teeth. She isn't eating much or moving much today. Maybe she over did it yesterday. This is also her abx shot day. The shot itself doesn't even make her flinch but she is sluggish and eats less on those days anyways. She is insisting on lying on the tile which isn't helping. I guess because they are cool but then she can't get up...............so sad...........if I am not there to help her then after she slides back down after a few times, she will give up and go back to sleep. If I help she will get something to eat or go the the litter box.
She was having a heck of a time using her litter box today. The problem is the height and the grate which she needs to cover the litter to prevent her from eating it... ........not sure if she would eat it at this point with not eating much but in the past she'd eat litter as if it was dinner.
Okay. So far so good on the litter box front. I think that I might have solved the problem. I bought 2 good size storage boxes. I fixed one for the cave and still need to fix the other one to go on the yoga mats where she likes to play and sleep during the night. I am waiting for some help with that one though. The one in the cave is going the lone way. OH cut the end down and I taped up the sharp edges. We cut grate to fit on the very bottom to cover the litter then I put a thick latter of hay on top so the grate won't bother her feet. I have her steamed hay in another smaller storage box backed up against it. She has gone in twice used the toilet and she has nibbled the dry hay. She at the moment is acting like she prefers it.....so maybe her teeth are feeling okay????? The poops just stay on top of the hay and the litter will soak up the pee but she can't get at it. Okay...............I feel a litter better already Thanks.

Have you tried using a potting tray instead of a litter box, my disabled bunnies use them and they are much easier for them to get in and out, is she on Metacam? is she on Glucosomine, it needs to be the pure stuff, what antibiotics is she on? have you tried accupuncture and physiotherapy?

Sending masses of vibes for your little girl:love::love:

Have you tried using a potting tray instead of a litter box, my disabled bunnies use them and they are much easier for them to get in and out, is she on Metacam? is she on Glucosomine, it needs to be the pure stuff, what antibiotics is she on? have you tried accupuncture and physiotherapy?

Sending masses of vibes for your little girl:love::love:

Thank you. I will have to check into a potting tray. The only ones that I have seen at our local Lowes are the really flimsy ones thin plastic. I do have a few of those.
The cut down storage box does seem to be working for now though. I did get a pic of her using one of them a few minutes ago. I'll post it.
She is on Metacam but the vet did tell me to try and cut it back to a lower dose if possible. She was at her max does and she thought that it might be adding to her loss of appetite. I have cut back the last 2 days and didn't notice her arthritis worse until really today. I went back up today.
She was taking Glucosamine, turmeric and ground flax seed for the arthritis before her stasis and I think that was really working. I have been having a hard time getting her to eat the pumpkin mixture with all that in it since her stasis. She did have some of it today and yesterday though so I think that it might just be a matter of time again until it kicks back in. She was on the Glucosamine for a good couple of months before we noticed any results and she has been mostly off it now for about 2 weeks.
She is on Zeniquin which is once a day. She was on 2 others before that were every 12 hours. This one seems to be working better for her and she is on a penicillin type ( I am not sure of the name) injection every other day. That seems to make her extra quiet and sluggish and not eating as much because she sleeps more.

Its very hard seeing a pet you love struggle sometimes.

Sending lots of hugs to you and Julie and hope she has a better day tomorrow. xxx

The white bowl is her steamed hay. I have removed it so she'd have more room and just put the steam hay on top in the corner.

And the one in her cave. The steamed hay is behind in the small box.

I really do empathize ((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))
Mimzy has always had one problem or other, was a snuffly bun early on in his life, acquired early onset arthritis at 3 years of age, has battled with numerous infections, dental problems and most recently his head tilt. Plus he is just looking like an old bunny at only 6. Since we think we got him pretty young, we are hoping he has a while with us yet but all the stuff he's been through...there are times he and I just look one another in the eyes and say, Yup...I know how you feel. :(

For me, with my perfectionist nature, I really get my broccoli steamed when I have multiple illnesses in a pet. Just knowing that there's another battle around the corner is so frustrating. I always look at myself and think, "what did I do wrong?" But since having the three rabbits, I am trying to temper that to, "I've done my best, what more can I do?" Often I find there is no right answer and as long as bun is happy and eating and still willing to get around either on their own or with help, I feel like I've done well.

But in reading your reports about Julie, I have to say, you have really gone extra miles to help her and you can tell she knows it and loves you for it. Yours is an example worth imitating and I have to say you inspire me. :) Julie is so lucky to have you and your OH caring for her, so many bunnies don't even have that.
I hope for and pray that you both have many happy years together and that she is doing better and better everyday. :) xxxx

I really do empathize ((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))
Mimzy has always had one problem or other, was a snuffly bun early on in his life, acquired early onset arthritis at 3 years of age, has battled with numerous infections, dental problems and most recently his head tilt. Plus he is just looking like an old bunny at only 6. Since we think we got him pretty young, we are hoping he has a while with us yet but all the stuff he's been through...there are times he and I just look one another in the eyes and say, Yup...I know how you feel. :(

For me, with my perfectionist nature, I really get my broccoli steamed when I have multiple illnesses in a pet. Just knowing that there's another battle around the corner is so frustrating. I always look at myself and think, "what did I do wrong?" But since having the three rabbits, I am trying to temper that to, "I've done my best, what more can I do?" Often I find there is no right answer and as long as bun is happy and eating and still willing to get around either on their own or with help, I feel like I've done well.

But in reading your reports about Julie, I have to say, you have really gone extra miles to help her and you can tell she knows it and loves you for it. Yours is an example worth imitating and I have to say you inspire me. :) Julie is so lucky to have you and your OH caring for her, so many bunnies don't even have that.
I hope for and pray that you both have many happy years together and that she is doing better and better everyday. :) xxxx

Awe.......sounds like you are an excellent bunny mommy and like you said you do the best that you can. That is all that any of us can do.
We don't have children so our pets are our kids. Julie is unfortunately elderly. The average life span for her breed is 7 to 9 and she will be 9 years old in a couple of weeks She was around 2 months when we got her. I will admit that she is a very spoiled bunny.
I really really have to thank you for telling me about those hay cup cakes. They are really helping to get her back into eating hay after her stasis. She loves the banana oat. I just ordered some more tonight of those and the triple berry. Tried to order some of the raspberry but they are still out. I am thinking about those pellets for arthritis. They have good reviews about helping but some people say that their buns don't like them so I thought that I'd wait until Julie is eating better as normally she'll eat anything and everything just not now.

Last edited:
Julie is more active tonight. The Metacam must of kicked in. I also gave her some turmeric. She is in the cave eating a softened broken up hay cake.

I am so happy that she is eating her critical herself tonight. I had to syringe feed her this morning as she wasn't interested in anything. Maybe I should of made the cut a little higher as she is dragging hay out when she leaves and exposing the grate. I need to pack more in. I was afraid that she would trip if it wasn't low enough to just walk in. See her poor arthritic leg.

Poor Julie and poor you :cry:

From her posture it really looks as though her arthritic pain may be the primary issue. That alone would be enough to cause significant loss of appetite regardless of what was going on with her teeth,

The gunky eye may be a simple conjuctivitis, but it may be an indication of infection in a tooth root.

Has she had any additional analgesia, I seem to recall Tramadol was tried ??

I really hope that she can feel more comfortable, I know exactly how stressful it is when a much loved Bunny seems to have to deal with one problem after another xx

Just wanted to add my support & send some vibes.
You have done wonders with Julie, worked through & solved so many problems.
Julie has so many great innovations around her that add to the quality of her life.
Please don't loose heart, Julie always looks so full of naughtiness & fight it is hard to believe she is an older, arthritic bun.

Lots and lots of vibes to Julie and to you and your OH. Really hope she remains comfortable and contented for a long long time.

hi just wanted to recommend this product , i have been using it for a couple of years for our dog who at 1 year old developed shoulder dysplaysia and he has 99% improved since taking it in fact there are weeks at a time when he shows no signs of limping at all, i cant advise if its worth trying for your rabbit but thought it was worth telling you about it just in case your thought it was.

http://www.flexicose.org.uk/default.html

Poor Julie and poor you :cry:

From her posture it really looks as though her arthritic pain may be the primary issue. That alone would be enough to cause significant loss of appetite regardless of what was going on with her teeth,

The gunky eye may be a simple conjuctivitis, but it may be an indication of infection in a tooth root.

Has she had any additional analgesia, I seem to recall Tramadol was tried ??

I really hope that she can feel more comfortable, I know exactly how stressful it is when a much loved Bunny seems to have to deal with one problem after another xx

I do worry about that tooth root abscess coming back because of the eye as it is on the same side but she has been and still is on all that abx for that and the ear infection.
She was put on the Tramadol after she went into stasis and wasn't eating still. The thinking was that the tooth and ear was causing too much pain. At first she started nibbling after being on it then after a bit totally quit again and it was thought that the Tramadol was causing loss of appetite. We took her off and she started eating again.
It is so hard to know what to do or what is her major problem as she has multiple problems now.
Every time I took her to vet before the tooth abscess and stasis I question her posture/arthritic pain getting worse and not being controlled. I put her on the floor to show the vet. She said that she thought that it was more of a function problem than an issue with pain because at that time she was still doing whatever she could with her hips to still hop as crazy as it looked. I think that it was better controlled though with the glucosamine /turmeric.flax seed. I am praying that now that I am getting more of that down her again that it will start helping her again.
I really do agree with you that the arthritis might be the cause of her pain now as she seems to be able to eat hay and pellets again and the increase or decrease of her appetite does some to be tied to her arthritis now.
I am also going to keep her maxed out on her Metacam to see if it helps her. I am also trying that gentle message again. What other pain meds can I ask the vet about?

We seem to have reached a comprise.

This has been a real problem area as she insist on lying directly on the tile here. I think that she loves the coolness of the tile. I keep a towel or a thin throw rug here but she will just keep moving it and lying between it and the wall. She then can't get up. I was thinking about getting another yoga mat as she can't move those but that would make her upset as she wants the cool tile. She just went into the cave after I had to help her up. It was a real struggle. I grabbed the towel that was there and put down the other bathmat. She loves this rug and digging at it. She seems fine with it as I left a spot of bare tile that she just rested her upper body on. She hasn't tried to get up yet but it should be better as her back feet should have the traction. She still has some troubles getting up off the rugs/mats but nothing like the slippery tile.

I have my fingers and toes crossed that Julie gets better, lots and lots of vibes to Julie and you!! xxxxxxxxxxxx

Back