• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

john chitty says no diagnosis ever of rabbit megacolon!

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
upset me as all the images id seen online were an exact match for what lily produced over three days and nights. lots of pudding poo..extra stinky...put it down to herbs. id only had her back from her dental a few days..she was in almost a week cos of stasis which is why she had the dental in the first place. Back home..usual twice daily oral meds.2ml zantac...1.5ml metaclop and 1 ml metacam.
she did pass a few teeny poos...next day i was horrified....some normal for her poos...some flat and round...some as small as a glass head on a pin. But the ones ive never seen in a small rabbit..about a full cm long...thick tube/oval shape....there was loads! next day weird mix again..i ran out of herbs and 24 hrs later we only have pinhead sized and double pinhead sized but long and thin and just mishapen..she had one huge wee.
i took batch by batch in tissues to show our vet..shed emailed john chitty of all people and he said that!!
im shocked to be honest! but hes the exotics expert and was so good with berties persistent eye ulcer.
so maybe its the strictures after all.

upset me as all the images id seen online were an exact match for what lily produced over three days and nights. lots of pudding poo..extra stinky...put it down to herbs. id only had her back from her dental a few days..she was in almost a week cos of stasis which is why she had the dental in the first place. Back home..usual twice daily oral meds.2ml zantac...1.5ml metaclop and 1 ml metacam.
she did pass a few teeny poos...next day i was horrified....some normal for her poos...some flat and round...some as small as a glass head on a pin. But the ones ive never seen in a small rabbit..about a full cm long...thick tube/oval shape....there was loads! next day weird mix again..i ran out of herbs and 24 hrs later we only have pinhead sized and double pinhead sized but long and thin and just mishapen..she had one huge wee.
i took batch by batch in tissues to show our vet..shed emailed john chitty of all people and he said that!!
im shocked to be honest! but hes the exotics expert and was so good with berties persistent eye ulcer.
so maybe its the strictures after all.

Do you think it might be helpful to take Lily to see JC?

I was simply upset because i wanted a diagnosis and explanation and prognosis as to why the almost continuous gi problem despite her diet. What we always presumed to e teeth related..ie she went to eat her hay then pulled away.....pellets....sniffed and pulled away. Now normally if she doesnt fancy pellets she will sit and nom a pile of dust free hay...french bale ....as big as she is!
I would love to take her to john chitty but i have to use the animal transport which was £25 an hour when baxter was alive and i took the buns for their vaccs.
And the journey used to take at least an hour and a half each way...and the stress levels would kill her before we got halfway.
No Lily got admitted today hoping they can give her extra pain meds as well as her usual collection of meds injected instead of watching t dribble out of her mouth. I was determined to keep her at home if she improved a little. but sadly no....and despite her begging fir herbs she was in soo much pain that i knew shed have to be admitted.
The sinking feeling has been so strong...i cuddled her till taxi came......i fear i will not get to cuddle her ever again.
vet wants to do a quick film f her tummy but as her dental was 4th june and youre supposed to leave at least two weeks before the next anaesthetic. so in depth films fir friday cancelled....but tuesday gut xray

Somehow i do not think she will last the night or the next 24 hrs...let alone the time up until the xray. Her poops were at leat fuve again..they look like little mouse r hammy poos!

Snowdrop has a diagnosis from FHB. She produces rugby ball shapes, flat cow pats, liquid diahoerra, soft strips but almost never normal round poos.

She is the classic white bunny with English Spot markings.

She has managed to do well with the condition for many years. She has phases of bloat and stasis but the majority of the time does well.

Her diet is very natural and she is very good herself at only eating what she needs.

I was simply upset because i wanted a diagnosis and explanation and prognosis as to why the almost continuous gi problem despite her diet. What we always presumed to e teeth related..ie she went to eat her hay then pulled away.....pellets....sniffed and pulled away. Now normally if she doesnt fancy pellets she will sit and nom a pile of dust free hay...french bale ....as big as she is!
I would love to take her to john chitty but i have to use the animal transport which was £25 an hour when baxter was alive and i took the buns for their vaccs.
And the journey used to take at least an hour and a half each way...and the stress levels would kill her before we got halfway.
No Lily got admitted today hoping they can give her extra pain meds as well as her usual collection of meds injected instead of watching t dribble out of her mouth. I was determined to keep her at home if she improved a little. but sadly no....and despite her begging fir herbs she was in soo much pain that i knew shed have to be admitted.
The sinking feeling has been so strong...i cuddled her till taxi came......i fear i will not get to cuddle her ever again.
vet wants to do a quick film f her tummy but as her dental was 4th june and youre supposed to leave at least two weeks before the next anaesthetic. so in depth films fir friday cancelled....but tuesday gut xray

Somehow i do not think she will last the night or the next 24 hrs...let alone the time up until the xray. Her poops were at leat fuve again..they look like little mouse r hammy poos!

wish i could offer some advice. :( sending hugs though and vibes x

i feel like im in a similar boat to you. my rabbit seems to be in a similar predicament. didnt know you had to wait 2 weeks between GA's. that means ive got quite a while to wait as mine was recently done 3 days ago. sending you healing vibes and hope to hear good news soon. xx

Back