• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-bonding previously bonded pair

Cowboi23

New Kit
Hi everyone,

We have two dwarf lops, male and female, the slightly smaller male was recently ill with gut stasis and has thankfully pulled through. During the time of his illness we kept them apart in separate cages so we could monitor his toilet movements and eating etc. They were only apart for approximately 14 hours, but now they have been reintroduced, you'd swear they'd never met before. They had previously been a bonded pair for nearly 2 years. Also, they're both neutered and spayed.

We've tried bonding in the bath, and there has been loads of grooming (coming from him) but when she fails to reciprocate he is losing patience and is nipping at her and they've had some very brief fights. My wife and I have been on hand to separate them immediately, but they are going from flopped on their side to fighting so quickly that it's almost impossible to predict or stop before it happens.

Anyone got any advice on how to proceed? If they go into a fight, which one should we remove first? I know there's some psychology involved (previously seen on Ceasar Milan's dog programme) but should we pull away the aggressor or the submissive one?

Thank you

We have had precisely the same situation as you have and re-bonding has been a nightmare.

We tried all manner of things and we did get to the stage when they did appear to be settled, but I think we became over confident and let them back into the garden (too much space) and we had to start all over again.

Definitely start with the smallest space possible and increase very slowly. The starting point for us was a space the size of a litter tray which we blocked off. We did not remove either rabbit when fighting started but intervened by distraction etc.

We progressed to them sharing their original accommodation (the run part of a kennel/run) divided by mesh, so one on either side - cleaning etc was a real pain.

Currently they have the entire run together but I have not dared yet introduce the kennel area back to them yet.

I still feel it is a bit fragile - they are snuggly most of the time, but I have seen friction too. I won't increase their space further, until I can be sure they are fully bonded. This process has taken weeks to get to this stage :shock: and this will be the third and most difficult time we have had to re-bond them.

I do feel mean, because they were free-ranging rabbits bounding across the lawn and sitting on 'bunny hill' in the garden but this has to be a means to an end.

Good luck with your re-bonding :)

We have had precisely the same situation as you have and re-bonding has been a nightmare.

Thank you so much for your response, it's very reassuring. We too used to let them run free in the garden and their living area was enormous.

We just took them out in the car for a very brief 5 minute drive, they were in a small open top carry box. No fighting at all, the moment we got them back into the small downstairs w/c (they've never been in there before) they nearly almost immediately started to fight. I think we need to learn to not pull them away so much but distract them. We just (as you and all owners) don't want them to get hurt as they tussle for dominance :(

May I ask what methods of "distraction" you used to stop the fighting instead of removing one or the other?

Thanks again, and if anyone else could help we'd be so grateful for all suggestions.

:)

Last edited:
Distraction? Anything lol! We try to calm them down before it really escalates, stroking, lifting one up and turning him/her around, waving oven gloves over them - just anything really! Even saying 'NO' firmly. Very difficult, I know, and no real 'one size fits all' just whatever works for your bunnies.

I can say, that each time has been horrendous compared to other rabbits we have bonded - they are practically airborne at times, or one rabbit has rolled the other onto its back and fur has flown in masses but we have ultimately succeeded in the past with these two. Hopefully, we will succeed this time too :)

Back