• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma about changing Barney's food

nessar

Warren Veteran
I need to change his pellets as he is on Excel Sensitive (25% fibre) which has been discontinued so I have started changing him over to Supreme's Vet Care Digestive. Barney has a slow gut and so doesn't eat hardly any hay at the moment, the vet thinks he feels full a lot because the food just sits there. He needs to eat more because he is losing weight and is very thin.

I am hoping that the extra fibre in the new food will help his gut more, as it is 32% fibre, which is as high as hay. In fact, I am I counting on it helping, as the gut stimulants are keeping it moving but it is still very slow. He has just had his dose upped a lot but it still isn't good.

Because of his gut issue, when I changed his food over before I did so very very gradually, over the course of about 6 months. I am now wondering whether, this time, I should change it over the standard 2 weeks or maybe a month, due to my urgent need to get Barney's gut better. The amount of pellets he gets will increase dramatically as well, as the Vet Care ones are full of so much hay they are extremely light.

Back