• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet plan so many exclusions doesn't seem fair just a little moan really!

jackandsally

Warren Scout
Just got the certificate of insurance for Dillon and Rosie and they have excluded gastro/intestinal and digestive system disorders of any kind from Rosie's unknown cause of stasis this month which I expected, but maybe not quite to that extent.

However, for Dillon they have excluded all eye disorders as well as oral and mouth disorders of any kind and facial abscesses all due to the fact he had a minor case of suspected conjunctivitis when we got him, as he had the tiniest amount of discharge on one eye and I was being overly cautious with him, the vet stated at the time it was more than likely caused from his previous home and bad living conditions with other rabbits who were probably infected. It seems a lot of exclusions, it says I can ring the vet to contact them if I have an issue with anything, I only have two days left to cancel though and I guess it will take longer than that for our vet to contact them. It was the most expensive insurer for them as well at £25 a month for the two of them that's with a 10% discount too for the first year, really not sure whether to cancel and go for a cheaper insurer if there are going to be this many exclusions regardless. :cry:

I thought insurance companies only excluded illness/conditions if they occurred before taking out the insurance :? If it happens whilst you have the contract with them I thought they continued covering it whilst you're still with them (except with things mentioned before like fly strike)?? I really thought that was how insurance worked?? My parents' dog had an ear infection, insurance covered the costs and then he went on to have loads more ear infections but because the problem began after starting the policy it was all covered. I don't know why they can do what they've done to you :( was there something in your policy about things not being covered after the first time?

I thought insurance companies only excluded illness/conditions if they occurred before taking out the insurance :? If it happens whilst you have the contract with them I thought they continued covering it whilst you're still with them (except with things mentioned before like fly strike)?? I really thought that was how insurance worked?? My parents' dog had an ear infection, insurance covered the costs and then he went on to have loads more ear infections but because the problem began after starting the policy it was all covered. I don't know why they can do what they've done to you :( was there something in your policy about things not being covered after the first time?

Unless I've misunderstood, these illnesses occurred before the insurance was taken out.

I know with Rosie that it was a given that they'd not cover the stasis or any future stomach type issues, but Dillon has never had any trouble at all no abcesses, no dental issues which he's been checked for under GA when he was neutered, nothing at all besides the tiny amount of discharge 2 years ago which cleared up straight away after cleaning his eye, he's had full health checks each year too and it's never been an issue. Just a bit disillusioned with it. Thought it would put my mind at rest with them, but I just feel worried now that with Dillon I'm being penalised for declaring something and being honest which is not even in his vet records.

Unless I've misunderstood, these illnesses occurred before the insurance was taken out.

Hi Babsie, yes the stasis happened before the policy and the eye discharge with Dillon was also previous sorry for any confusion. I will have to ring them and ask them to explain the exclusions and see what the vet thinks who has health checked them both recently. Guess I can only try :wave:

I know with Rosie that it was a given that they'd not cover the stasis or any future stomach type issues, but Dillon has never had any trouble at all no abcesses, no dental issues which he's been checked for under GA when he was neutered, nothing at all besides the tiny amount of discharge 2 years ago which cleared up straight away after cleaning his eye, he's had full health checks each year too and it's never been an issue. Just a bit disillusioned with it. Thought it would put my mind at rest with them, but I just feel worried now that with Dillon I'm being penalised for declaring something and being honest which is not even in his vet records.

I agree with you about Dillon. Have just re-read your original post and cannot understand these exclusions. Could you ring them? I suppose you could ask your vet to contact them urgently.

Hi Babsie, yes the stasis happened before the policy and the eye discharge with Dillon was also previous sorry for any confusion. I will have to ring them and ask them to explain the exclusions and see what the vet thinks who has health checked them both recently. Guess I can only try :wave:

I knew what you meant - but think FunnyBunny got the wrong end of the stick. ;)

I've just called Petplan and they won't talk to me at all about anything as it's in my fiance's name he's not back from holiday until tomorrow so will have to get him to call them and probably just cancel it, the lady was quite rude as well so think I will definitely be cancelling and try another insurer with cheaper premiums. Back to square one. At least Rosie is a lot better from her stasis now anyway touch wood :wave:

I went with helpucover, great cover for a smaller price, petplans prices take the pee x

Think you just have to be careful that you are getting like-for-like cover (ie the total amount they will pay out in a year etc).

Yeah I'm going to have a shop about and see what there is available, might even be worth keeping Rosie on petplan since it's only gasto issues with her and getting Dillon on a cheaper one elsewhere who won't exclude so much.

If it is more than a year since the condition occurred they can lift the exclusion, but you have to tell them :wave: petplan are the best in my opinion, i would be very wary about going with a different insurer just because they're cheaper. A lot of them don't pay out even for things that aren't excluded x

I've just called Petplan and they won't talk to me at all about anything as it's in my fiance's name he's not back from holiday until tomorrow so will have to get him to call them and probably just cancel it, the lady was quite rude as well so think I will definitely be cancelling and try another insurer with cheaper premiums. Back to square one. At least Rosie is a lot better from her stasis now anyway touch wood :wave:

Ears/eyes/noses/mouths are all connected, so if there has been an issue with any of these then all of them will be excluded. My Olly is the same, but he is covered for gastro problems which they have paid out for no problem :wave:

Ears/eyes/noses/mouths are all connected, so if there has been an issue with any of these then all of them will be excluded. My Olly is the same, but he is covered for gastro problems which they have paid out for no problem :wave:

I will see what they say to my OH, but I will more than likely cancel Dillon on petplan it was over 2 years ago this Summer when he had the eye issue, will also ring the vet too and see what she thinks about the exclusions they have listed for him before ringing petplan again. Thanks all :wave:

Back