• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed - bunny not eating after dental

Gus-ta-furry

Warren Scout
Last time we know for sure she ate was 13.30pm
She is sat hunched and teeth grinding . She was given painkillers , ga, gut mobility as part of her treatment. She had her teeth burref, no additional dental wirk. She has only just recently started hopping around, and done two tiny poos. We have critical care, but not sure if we should syringe feed yet as she is probably still a little groggy, and don't want to stress her , how long should we wait ?

Vet said she might not eat tonight, but surely by tomorrow morning it would be an emergency ??

We've given grated apple and carrot to no avail

Would you recommend microwaved mushy pellets or porridge oats ?

If so, do you feed porridge oats as they are in the pack ??

Any help massively appreciated

I would give her a little while longer, especially as she has had a nibble, to be honest she is probably feeling a bit woozy and is also in a foul mood as she's not had the best day. My old bunny Poppy was very food orientated and didn't get stressed by the vets but sometimes a simple appointment would put her in enough of a mood to stop her eating for a few hours.

When I give porridge oats I just make as usual porridge with water and allow to cool. Do you have any herbs? They usually like those best when feeling a bit off.

I hope she is feeling better soon and eating normally, I'm sure she will be and she's just settling down after a stressful day.

Try mashing up some pellets with water, steam some veg, puree it and then see if she feels happier to eat it that way. Bear in mind she may be frightened that when she eats it will cause her some pain so is reluctant to try.

Pop a little mashed up food onto her paws. Bunnies hate to have mucky paws so her reaction will be to clean herself and hopefully this may get her feeling more like eating.

Besst of luck.:thumb:

Mix a teaspoon of critical care up and let her smell it, if she takes an interest let her have some. My dental bun used to have some "when he was ready" and I would do it once an hour and he was keen to take it on his own off a spoon or from the syringe. He tended to pick up once he started to get it down him. He would have a 5ml syringe once an hour or however much he would take. Sometimes he would not eat until early hours though so don't panic just yet.

Thanks for all the brilliant advice all , Little Chels ate a bit of grated
apple followed by a couple more small poos and is now hopping about, had a decent sized nom on some herbs and flopped out

She also just received a little groom from Tommy, her Husbun :love: (although that is literally the only concern he's showed for her in the past 6 hours , :roll: typical man :lol:

apple followed by a couple more small poos and is now hopping about, had a decent sized nom on some herbs and flopped out

She also just received a little groom from Tommy, her Husbun :love: (although that is literally the only concern he's showed for her in the past 6 hours , :roll: typical man :lol:

Brilliant :thumb: always best if they can get eating for themselves

That's great news!!!!:thumb::D:D

Back