• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Older rabbits with younger bucks...

Hi,

As I mentioned in one of the previous threads I posted I am looking at getting a companion for Floss.

Floss is a more mature lady, adopted back in 2008 as a companion for Barley Sugar (who sadly died in 2009), I adopted Cloggs as a companion but sadly the bond didn't work and he passed away earlier in the year, so she has been living alone (but along side another bunny) since 2009.

I've been looking at some local rescues but there seem to be very few single distinguished gentlemen looking for love in their later years...

My OH asked "wouldn't she like a young man?" to which I didn't really have an answer. I was looking for an older rabbit, as, although still active, Floss isn't the spring chicken she was 5 years ago, so I thought she'd get on better with another bunny who would be looking for a similar pase of life.

However I have little experience of bonding so please, experienced people out there - please discuss!

Hannah :)

I've never had a problem bonding buns of different ages. In fact if anything it's been easier if only one is a bundle of excitement at the prospect:lol:

I would think about what you want long term. If you get a young bunny & bond him with your existing & he outlives her - are you happy getting another in the future? If you see yourself having future buns - I shouldn't worry about age.

That said - there'll be plenty looking for a home, so you could put a "wanted" up:D

We have bonded older with younger both mix of sexes without problems
we have elderly nethie Raven looking for a home..he is tiny and easy to handle Hannah :D

I would think about what you want long term. If you get a young bunny & bond him with your existing & he outlives her - are you happy getting another in the future? If you see yourself having future buns - I shouldn't worry about age.

This is something I have given great consideration to. I was asked just after Cloggs died if I would get another bunny and at the time I wasn't sure - not that I didn't still love bunnies and everything that goes with them etc etc it's just I always need time for things to settle. I'm starting to feel excited about the thought of an extra little rabbit in the household now. At the moment though it is only a thought.

As in one of my previous posts I need to see if I can get my accomodation (run size) up to the requirements of two of the local rescues.

Depending how far you're willing to travel there are some older buns out there looking for a wife, I'm sure Rabbit Residence have a couple

I've just bonded my 8 year old nethie Poppet with my less than a year old three legged frenchie Wilf and it was a very very easy bond :)

We have bonded older with younger both mix of sexes without problems
we have elderly nethie Raven looking for a home..he is tiny and easy to handle Hannah :D

Took me a long search of this website to find a photo of Raven (well maybe not that long but I am suppose to be working ;)).

Floss has a small problem with mites at the moment, so I need to get her fully clear before her meeting prospective new husbuns.

Depending how far you're willing to travel there are some older buns out there looking for a wife, I'm sure Rabbit Residence have a couple

The Rabbit Residence is one I have looked into as they are fairly local, they require a 10ft run so I am working out if I can fit this into my available space outside before I contact them.

I bonded an 2yr old male with a 6yr old female. I didnt do it the 'bonding' way as I wasnt aware of it. The rescue put them together in a netral cage, they humped a bit but no biting etc. I brought them home in the same carrier and put them in the shed together, theyve been inseparable ever since.

They are soooo lurved up its embarassing:lol: Its lovely to see.

Im not advocating my way of bonding, just saying what I did when I didnt know better.

Back