• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mimzy - One year on from getting head tilt and still going strong - June 10, 2013

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
It doesn't seem possible that a year has passed since Mimzy first became ill with head tilt. I certainly never expected him to survive from the moment I realized what he had, especially since the onset was sudden and severe.
Today he still lists to his left in varying degrees depending on how he's feeling and the weather also, apparently. But he continues to amaze me by just being there every morning, ready for his greens and metacam. It's been months since he's needed any medication other than that. He recently came through a full dental which I wasn't expecting him to survive. (Had he passed under GA I would've been consoled knowing he was in no pain and that it was his time, but it was an unnecessary worry.)
One year ago I found myself completely drowning in a fight for his life. He became so ill so quickly and within a week I was certain I was going to have to let him go to the Bridge. If it hadn't been for RU and the advice and support of the members here he might not be around today and I would've made a terrible mistake in giving up on him. The day before, his former mate, Pip, had suffered a small seizure and we were worried something was going through all three of my bunnies and would cost me all of them. To see him circling and rolling and falling, unable to eat or drink properly, unable to know up from down and keep his feet...it tore my heart out. :cry:

He is my soul bunny. The pet rabbit I never expected to bring home and keep, much less adopt two more! He took me out of the funk I was in two years after my diagnosis with cancer. Instead of lying about and wallowing in a puddle of gloom, (treatment had taken a lot of my energy) I was finding myself flying out of bed in the mornings to see how he was doing and feed and clean him. I spent more time outdoors just to watch him (during the summer he was in a secure shed/run in our back yard, but before winter hit my OH agreed to bring him into the house), he would hide behind the cardboard boxes I placed in his shed and I would call out, "Wheeeeere's Mimzy?" and his little head would pop up...then he'd hide again and I'd call him again...then suddenly he'd bound out from behind the boxes and binky his way out the door, leap around the run and zoom back in and hide behind the boxes again waiting for me to call him. :love:
I miss the days he was so active, or when he had a habitat in my bedroom that he would lay on the shelf all night and watch me, no matter when I opened my eyes he was looking at me...like a bunny guardian angel.
I don't take many pictures of him, because since his tilt it hurts my heart to see him like that. I know he is living in the moment and doesn't care that the world is sideways, but it just reminds me that I wasn't on top of something and if I had been maybe this could've been avoided. But for whatever reason this happened, even if it was just to bring us even closer than we already were...don't know how that was possible...it did happen and he is still with me. I promised him I wouldn't give up unless he wanted to give up.
I guess he's not ready to give up. :love:
Love you so much, Mimz...no matter when Our Lord calls you...I will never forget the depth to which you have taken a place in my heart. And from that home, you will never leave. XXXX

Hiya

I am so glad that he is coping with his head tilt, bless him. :love:

Having such a lovely Mum must be helping him. xx

Im so glad he is doing well :D

Having a bunny who is currently fighting a very severe headtilt for the last 5 weeks, this helps me to read this!

Back