• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Canaural - Ear mite treatment

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya...

A bit of advice required,,, Smudge is being treated for ear mites and his ears are looking fab now, still to go back in a fortnight for a recheck at the vets.

I have been putting it as far down his ear that is possible, rubbing the base of his ear for a few seconds.. He then goes nuts, rampaging bout, shaking his ears, scratching and licking/grooming. Willow then goes nuts trying to groom him and lick his ears.

How long does it take for treatment to work?...

My buns were on this med for 3 weeks.My female Milly was fine after her treatment but her husbun Harry who is a lop needed more treatment with different meds.
They both hated the treatment application aswell

Last edited:
Thanks.... I have still got 10 days to go with this and to be fair Smudge is getting frightened of me now, he hides when he sees me, it's horrible as he has always been a friendly boy... He thumps now as he obviously knows what's coming,,,,,

Willow just can't keep away from his ears though, she must just Love the smell of the stuff!!! Smudge looks like he has a Mohawk with all the grooming she has been doing on him...

I think Dylan had the ear drops for a week, then a few days off, then another week. He also had mite injections and had his ears cleaned out under GA they were so bad. We restarted the drops after a few days as the vet said that was when any remaining mites would start hatching again.

The first week of treatment was extremely painful for him, he hated being touched anywhere near his ears, never mind having something put in them! :( The last week was much better, by the end I could do anything to his ears and it didn't hurt him.

It's so hard to do when you know you're causing them so much pain and they're so scared :cry: but it will be over soon and he'll forgive you xx

Cheers Helen

Thankfully we got the mites early. One ear wasnt majorly affected but the other showed some signs , again she said nothing major although a couple if mites were evident... Both bunnies had injections too..

As you say .. I hope he forgives me... I hate it when he hides from me... :(

Fee x

I've only used this product on a dog & if it's formulation is the same in the UK as NZ then it has quite a strong smell & it sort of bubbles & crackles which must be distressing to an animal.
So not surprised your Smudge is getting a bit freaked out.
Could you offer a treat as a bribe?

Back