• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Furminator deshedding tool

bunkin

Warren Veteran
Even though bun is short haired his hair is just like a dandelion clock. I have tried about 6 brushes for rabbits on him and they just don't get much hair off.

He hates going to the vets and stresses so much in carry case and have just taken him for nail clipping and had him sat on my knee in back of car ( he was much less stressed) so i could really stroke his fur and I disappeared in a cloud of fur, got massive amounts out just with my hands.

Have seen the furminator for cats advertised that says it gets down to the underneath safely and wondered if anyone has ever used a grooming tool thats not specifically for rabbits?

I was going to get one, but jaysmonkey used one with one of her bunnies, Grace, and it took a chunk of skin off as well as fur I think :( she was on cage rest for ages and had one of those body bandages.

I've used my dog one on Pickles. Only very, very lightly brushing across the top of his coat with it.

I have one and find it can be really effective but you have to go very carefull with it. I use very little pressure and only go over the same area a couple of times, otherwise I'm sure it would just keep removing the fur until they were bald.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use a furminator. I used them for 2 years with no issues, then this happened.

I wouldn't risk it.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...TOR-users-U-D-19-10-2012&highlight=furminator
IMG1264.jpg

That's after stitches...

I used one and a slicker brush, furminator works on Sebastian but not Imogen and the slicker works on Imogen but not Sebastian

I've got one and it's brilliant for my cat. I've tried it on the bunnies though and it seemed to drag their skin far too much and they seemed uncomfortable with it, whereas they were fine with me using a normal brush on them. I've since tried it on my dog - he's very short-haired, but other owners of the breed swear by the furminator - and yet I found it seemed to drag on his skin far too much too, so I won't use it on him either.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use a furminator. I used them for 2 years with no issues, then this happened.

I wouldn't risk it.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...TOR-users-U-D-19-10-2012&highlight=furminator
IMG1264.jpg

That's after stitches...

personally seeing that I certainly wouldn't take the risk. We find that grooming at feeding time with an ever so slightly damp pair of hands is very effective. you might miss a littel bit of fur if your bun is really furry, but I'd rather that than risk uneccessary injury

:shock: Me thinks I won't get one then after seeing that photo.

The damp hands at feeding time sounds like a good idea as we do seem to get most out with our hands but never thought of having them damp. We have no chance of getting the underneath groomed but at least it will help on top:lol:

He is a seriously clean rabbit anyway I was just wanting to reduce the amount he ingests.

:oops::oops::oops:I vaccumed my carpet and then went over some of it with one of those sticky rollers, I am living in a grey fluffy nightmare:censored:

Back