• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The bunny housing /garden projects begin...UD July 14

catherine09

Mama Doe
I've been wanting to do a diary of our garden renovations for ages so I can have a memory of doing it :lol:

So......Been in our house a week now, and made a start on the area of the garden that is going to be my own bunnies area...

Pic of the garden before we moved in - what a state! It looks slightly better now, the garage has gone, the big tree stump in the middle has gone and the big cobnut tree in the middle at the end is in full leaf - its a beautiful tree :love: Also there are about 10ft deep of bushes and weeds at the side which need cutting away!

5_zpsd4819672.jpg

So yesterday we got to work on the area with the shed on. The existing shed has been moved, we replaced a fence panel that was broken behind the shed, removed a tree stump and started work extending the existing concrete base so that it is big enough.

My plans: A month or so ago I bought a secondhand double kennel, each side 6ft x 10ft with a bed and open part. It is in need of some repairs, repainting and 'bunnifying'! The plan is to nestle the kennel into that corner, and to add to the space at the back and garden side either side with either additional run area or alternatively runaround system. Then infront of the kennel I'm going to plant 3 established apple and 3 pear trees and picket fence off the entire area to make an orchard/bunny free ranging area (supervised of course ;))

Eeeee I'm so excited - I'll get another picture tonight of our progress - we're nearly ready to put the additional concrete base down

Last edited:

I personally love looking at other peoples 'from start to finish' threads, I find they give me so much inspiration :thumb:

It's very nice you are making a dream home for the rabbit. I suggest you to try things which are natural and according to the nature. If everything will be according to this so they will be more comfortable and attached to their home.

Last edited:
It's very nice you are making a dream home for the rabbit. I suggest you to try things which are natural and according to the nature. If everything will be according to this so they will be more comfortable and attached to their home.

How true. Your garden looks lovely and big. The kennels sound wonderful. Roll on pictures.

Updated pictures! Did a bit more base preparation tonight but realised we need more gravel so gave up for the evening :roll:

photo1-4_zpse1e35514.jpg

Everything always takes so much longer than expected... I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

I have been SO rubbish at updating this :lol:

Anyway, were making progress :)

Concrete base is laid, back and two side panels painted, floor has arrived and last night we started to remake a base (old one was past it). Hoping to have it done by this weekend, apart from inside insulation which I will do in a few weeks time!

This is when it was still wet so doesn't look great, but the runs are going to have stable matting and going to pave any exposed bits so you won't see the ugly concrete anyway :)

null_zpseb8db9e1.jpg

Back panel mid painted (another coat went on after this but didn't photo - doh!)

null_zps80dc82b9.jpg

null_zpscdbe0558.jpg

null_zpsdbdecefe.jpg

looking good :thumb:

i'm trying to sort our garden out at the min aswell. it's only small but taking ages!

Good luck! Our garden is literally out of control, were just trying to focus on one area at a time. Need to get some tree surgeons in to sort out the overgrown mass of trees/hedge :shock:

Making progress :D

Making the floor:

null_zps1d0e5158.jpg

null_zps0507169c.jpg

Gluing safety flooring down:

null_zps31ffcc72.jpg

null_zps43e7adb8.jpg

Walls up! (Was getting dark by this point lol)

null_zps351df0da.jpg

null_zps73177d42.jpg

Once the shed part is up, I will be insulating and lining the inner walls with plywood and painting :thumb:

I'm getting so excited about it now its up. There's about 3ft behind it that I'm going to turn into a walk in secret run :)

Back