• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sulcrate Medicine for GI stasis/Ulcers

Britt

New Kit
Hello,

I posted previously a few times about my bunny Amelia. She has had GI stasis for a month now since she lost her BFF Winston.
When I posted before I spoke about how the vet did blood work and said that she has "regenerative anemia" but that she doesn't know why.

I took Amelia back to the vet this weekend and inquired about stomach ulcers and the use of "Ranitidine" as some other forum members suggested this.
The vet said that she didn't have any ranitidine and that it was on backorder across the country but that she could special order it for me if I wanted but that it would take a while. So she put Amelia on Sulcrate and said that it was from the same family of drugs as Ranitidine. The vet said that she hasn't used these types of drugs with bunnies before and that she isnt very educated about using these meds with bunnies. She had to look up the dosage in a book and prescribed Amelia .2ml twice per day.

Has anyone had any experience with Sulcrate? If so what dosage was your bunny given? Did it help? Is Rantidine still the preferable drug that maybe I should get her to order?

Thanks,

Britt

Back