• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did you know about rescue when you got your first rabbit/s?

Did you know about rabbit rescue when you got your first rabbits?

• No I didnt know about rescue

Votes: 46 59.7%
  • Yes but didnt know the extent of the unwanted rabbit problem

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Yes that is why I went to a rescue

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters

weeble

A few of the posts about bybs has got me thinking. When I got my first rabbits as an adult (B and C 5 years ago) I knew that there were rabbits in rescue but not the extent of the problem or any of the reasons not to buy from a byb or pet shop.

If I am honest I dont think I would have passed a home check anyway as my hutch was only 4ft although it did have a 6x4 run attached. It was only through joining this forum that I learnt about spaying and larger accomodation. Just interested in others starting points really

No, i didnt and got Floppy from a neighbour. I bought a 5x2x2 hutch and 2x 5x5 runs and thought i was doing well. I had bought woodshavings for the hutch too.

I just happened to google about rabbits after i got him and realised from here my hutch was too small, woodshavings caused respiratory infections and that bunnies liked company.

Got a shed, ditched the shavings and got a rescue bunny for company ..if only i had researched..

Rescues rock!!!

Didn't know with Flash, with Harley I knew but not to the full extent, with the thriantas I knew although was still more on the breeding/showing side

I got my first bun in the late 90's he was a pet shop bun. I knew there were rabbits in rescue, I'd watched enough 'pet rescue' for that, but I had no idea of how many needed help. We were also fairly bunny un-savvy, we learnt quickly though and got him a rescue wifey bun! :p

Another 'excuse' was age... I was in primary school! :lol:

Every animal I have had since leaving home has been a rescue animal, all the rabbits through proper rescues then with the cats most from rescues, 2 strays and one where I removed the cat from its situation and severed the 'friendship' I had. Even the goldfish were rescued and the triop came from a charity shop:shock:

Based on friends who had rescue cats or dogs, I assumed nearly all rescue animals had health & behavioural problems that would be too much for a first time owner.

No, I was unaware that rabbit rescues even existed. Had I done so I would have probably got them from there. Bought our girls from a pet shop.

However, before buying we did do research like how big the hutch should be and I had several conversations with the local vet practice on what a rabbit's welfare would entail i.e. jabs/spay etc. so we didn't go into it ignorant, or blind. Other than the rescue bit of course. But I love our girls to bits and the thought that they could have ended up somewhere in a tiny cage with barely any care fills me with dread, particularly as Thumper has had an arm and a leg's worth of vet bills this year ... :lol:

Got my first two bunnies from a local pet shop @15 or some years ago.... wasnt really aware of the rescue plight then..... They sold me two girls... they were never spayed..:oops: but thankfully they lived happily together..... how naive was I :shock:
When one passed away I was looking for one a similar age to the one i had left.... and was put on to Bunny Burrows a rescue in N.Yorks

I have NEVER bought a bunny from a pet shop / breeder since.... I just couldnt and wouldnt.

I snooped around this forum for ages before getting biff and bram.
I was thinking about going to a breeder before seeing threads on here.
I'm so glad I didn't though, I wouldn't swap biff and bram for anything.

i didn't know about rescues when i got bisc and matt. since i found out about rescues i have adopted three guinea pigs and any future pets will be rescue. :love:

I was unaware. I remember briefly thinking 'I wonder if the RSPCA do rabbits', but didn't really think it likely and didn't research it. OH had his heart set on baby Netherland Dwarfs, so off he went to PAH. We bought the biggest indoor cage they sold, thinking that must be the best thing for them (4x2 Nero 4). That was the start of a massive learning curve - skip forwards 4 weeks and we had fighting sisters, I found RU, found they needed more space, needed spaying, started to learn about the rescue situation and haven't looked back.

Tulip & Mango are rescues.
I need to update my signature!

I had wanted a cat and knew I wanted a rescue. Mum said no to cats though. Friend said about getting a rabbit but it never entered my head about rescues.

Yes, I knew about rescues. I had been thinking about getting rabbits for a while, but (daft as it sounds) I was waiting for a rabbit to find me. My first rabbit came from a friend who couldn't look after him any more, then I got him a friend from the RSPCA.

Well I got my first rabbit when I was 2, so no. It wasn't until I joined RU that I got my first 'second hand' bunnies, and I've had 3 second hand ones since. Only last week I went to a rescue for the first time, but wasn't happy with the experience, so next time I'll stick with free-ad bunnies.

no! 1961 was a long time ago!
nor did i know about rescues when i got matthew and tabitha, but it wouldn't have made a difference. i wanted baby rabbits, a pair who seemed right for me, with colour co-ordination so that they were not upsetting to see together.

Yes, I knew about rescues and had some rescue animals at that stage. But, probably not the extent of the rabbit problem. I didn't actually plan to have rabbits, and had them kind of thrust upon me, so getting them from a rescue wasn't something I was going to do.

I've had rabbits as a child that were given to us, I've never bought one from a breeder. I wasn't intending on getting a rabbit when I was in p@h and Rosie-Lil was banging away at the glass door of their adoption centre. She was there for a couple of weeks before I finally caved in and decided to take her home. Luckily I knew a lot about their welfare by then so decided to keep her as a house bun from the start. I haven't looked back as I love her, but it was a bit impulsive and her husbun as well as any other furies will come from rescues in future. In short I did know about rescues but probably didn't know the extent of the problem and didn't plan on a bun anyway.

I run a hamster rescue now so I boycott pet shops that sell animals anyway. It just makes my blood boil!

Back