• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about my Dutch Bramble

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
My little Dutch boy Bramble just seems very small.

Today my dd1's friends mother came over to pick dd1 up. She shows rabbits and she said to me that he is very small for his age. Bramble is six months old and weighs 1.62kg. Now she has got me very worried. She thought he was about four months tops. I must admit he has hardly grown in body size. But was 1.52kg when he had his vacinations at the end of March. So is gaining weight.

He eats like a horse. Has 20kg of ss pellets in the morning (seperated from his bonded partner as she will eat her share and his otherwise). Herbs and veg for tea and green oat hay and ready grass when i put them to bed for the night. Also unlimited T&R and meadow hay. They have baled hay all in their hutch too.

This is him taken a week a go

921189_10151663838275774_1389585495_o_zps35085e66.jpg

and yesterday with Belle. She is 2.74kg so is a big girl

964682_10151742540165774_530429177_o_zps90d78615.jpg

Do i really need to be worrying or is he just going to be smaller?

He may just be a very small Dutch. I'd keep a check on his weight, his water consumption and his poo output

The fact that you say he eats slowly compared to your other Rabbit makes me think that getting a Vet to check his teeth would be a good idea too.

Thank you Jacks-Jane.

He has always eaten slowly. He seems to have a very small mouth compared to my others and it takes him a while to chew big things. Didn't eat pellets at all for a while after his neuter. It's taken a while to get him eating them again. His output and water consumpion is fine he produces lovely golden poo's. He loves hay always the first to dive in when i change their litterbox and refill the hay bar.

Will get his teeth checked out to be on the safe side. They where fine when he was neutered but alot can change in two months.

Back