• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel sick

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I had planned for my house bunnies to stay out for the first time in their new accommodation tonight. It's a Wendy house with access to a run on paving slabs, so nothing can dig in or out. However, I'm imagining foxes breaking in through the wire on the run and then through the cat flap. Is this likely or am I being silly? I'm sat here not going to bed because I don't think I'll sleep. I'm tempted to bring them in, but they're so happy out there.

The run on the patio is also connected to a run on the grass with a runaround pipe, but the double door is shut, preventing access to the tunnel or grass. A fox can't break in that way right? They could never get down an 8ft runaround pipe AND open the door?

Gosh, I feel so paranoid... :?

It sounds very secure to me. No a fox couldn't break into the run, get along the pipe and then break through a double door!

Thanks.

They're about 4ft from the patio doors, so I can see them. They're sat on the patio, why won't they go in their house? I know they would go in if a predator came as they go in if my dogs are about, but I'd rather they just go in for the night. I don't want to shut them in the house as it gets hot on the patio in the morning.

Next door have a rabbit in a normal hutch/run and that's been there for years with no problem, but I'm still worrying.

It sounds very secure to me. No a fox couldn't break into the run, get along the pipe and then break through a double door!

I know, it sounds silly reading it back. :oops:

I've just peered out again and they've gone inside. I'm going to brave it and leave them out, but I suspect I'll be checking on them a few times during the night.

First time i put my Stu out nearly 12 months ago and then the two babies at the end of April all with 24 hour run access, i sat up both times till stupid o'clock watching :roll: and even got up in the night and checked and then got up at stupid O'clock again, they were fine and just kept looking at me like i was daft :lol::lol: so i know what its like:D

Thanks for understanding.

I've progressed upstairs now and can see them in the run (again) from my bedroom window. I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight...

i know the feeling. when bisc and matt lived in their shed i was worried all the time. :roll: i had so many locks and bolts, and triple mesh on the windows. :oops:

It depends what sort of wire you have, if it's chicken wire then a fox could get in to that easily, a fox could also get in to a cat flap, foxes are very, very determined when they know something is on the end of it

Have you any pictures?

Thanks.

They are fine this morning, but I didn't sleep very well, especially when one of my dogs started barking at 3am, but it was due to some sort of industrial noise with a loud squeak every 10 mins or so, not anything to do with the buns. That kept me awake for a while though... :roll:

There are pics of the accommodation here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?390941-New-bunny-pad

The run on the grass is mostly chicken wire, I didn't know when I made it that it wasn't safe :oops: but they only get access to that run when we are home and can keep an eye on them. The runaround tunnel is closed at night or if we have to go out. The wendy house door has a padlock, as does the run lid that opens. The run is screwed to the wendy house. I took one of the mesh panels off when I attached the run to the wendy house and it took some going using a screwdriver to lever the mesh off. It's stapled, but the staples are deeper than the staples ones and there are lots in there.

If a fox came in the garden at night, my dogs would go absolutely mad! I know there are foxes about as we are on the outskirts of a city now sadly, but I've never seen one. Where we lived before the dogs would bark if a fox or badger came into the garden at night though and they haven't done that here. One especially, a rescue, is a barker, so I suppose the sensible side of me says that I would be alerted in the time it took for a fox to get in anyway, but it doesn't stop me worrying.

My neighbours have had a rabbit in a normal hutch and run since we lived here and haven't noticed any problems, is that a positive sign or are more rabbits likely to attract more foxes? :?

However, if anyone feels there's anything I can do to make it more secure, please be honest and say.

I was the same for the first week or so ...
The way I see it is that if they are safe during the day, the will be at night. Foxes and predators are around 24/7.

All the best
Fee xxxx

I totally understand how you feel. My Snowflake has just moved outside to a shed/run next to my lovely Tessie and Daisy... Just mesh between them and foxes seems so lame... Your set up does look properly secure though.

Back