• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

big ooopppsss!, suprise babies !!!

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
We have a trio of buns, one neutered male and 2 female then sepratly we have 2 males both neutered or so we thought! all rescued and all going to be done evenuatlly but before this could happen one of the males exscaped in to the trio and we now have babies so clearly he is NOT netured!, anyway I have taken the male out of the trio leaving the two girls but as the fur is dark on both girls and of course there's fur in the nest I don't know who's mum so darent take one of them out incase I choose wrongly, will they both be ok living together with babies? Not sure what to do

Saw an old post on here from a breeder who said that keeping 2 does together whilst they kindle (have babies) is absolutely fine. Hope somebody who knows comes along soon.

Saw an old post on here from a breeder who said that keeping 2 does together whilst they kindle (have babies) is absolutely fine. Hope somebody who knows comes along soon.

Phew thankyou, I'm worried for the babies but would stress even more if I seperated them and I took the wrong bun out, I've left the males New hutch right next to the girls hutch so they can still see each other cause feel bad for him too now he's on his own!

If the male was still with the females after the babies were born, then be prepared in case she's already pregnant again. The other female is likely to be pregnant too :( it would be a good idea to get all the males neutered asap and keep them away from the females. Hope the babies are OK xx

If the male was still with the females after the babies were born, then be prepared in case she's already pregnant again. The other female is likely to be pregnant too :( it would be a good idea to get all the males neutered asap and keep them away from the females. Hope the babies are OK xx[/QU
The male who lives with them has been netured, they have the run of half the garden all day and the other two males have the other half, the dad got throught the gate when I went throught it and that's how she got pregnant, If the other female is pregnant then there's not much I can do about it, as I said they are rescues and I'm in the process of having them done but as you probly know its not cheap so I can't afford to have them all dine in one go.

Bunnies are very determined in making offspring. Proof are my 4 wonderful bundles of joy hopping around.
Now that is has happened, just enjoy the babies

We had a situation where two does were left with kits and kits were fine, you will just have to keep a big eye on them when they arrive

When you say "they are rescues" do you mean you adopted them from a rescue? if so they should have been neutered or the rescue will help you out now
if you "rescued" them then this is a warning to those who have a go without the funds, knowldege or proper accomodation, as hard as it sounds, it is not helping the rescue situation by letting them breed, even accidently , it has added to the problem of rabbit numbers :cry:
Good intentions are great but when dealing with little lives the knowledge ( as in being able to see if the males were neutered ) and the financial backing is also needed

I checked the veterinary notes of both of ours from the RSPCA. Sadly sometimes you can't trust what you are told as we learned with Scarlet's teeth. I guess neutered buns are easier to rehome so there is a massive temptation on irresponsible people to say they are neutered. I would certainly be complaining to the rescue and possibly reporting them to the RSPCA as it goes against the whole ethic of rescuing to send out an unnuetered bun. I don't think for one minute the RSPCA would be interested but if you tell the rescue you have reported them for urresponsible rehoming it may make them think again.

The does should be fine, but make sure they have the space to get away from each other if the mum gets territorial about her nest. There is, of course, the chance that the doe that isn't the mother will kill the babies, but it is unlikely. But watch them and watch their relationship. A vets visit would tell you who was the mother, I imagine.

My mother, who used to breed when I was a kid, kept them together in a stable, but she always knew which nest was whose, so I imagine there is a fairly easy way of telling that doesn't involve seeing them feed.

I'm quite new to rabbits and only have neutered buns, so I've never looked into the breeding side of things and don't know how it works. However, in dogs you can have a 'mismate' jab, sort of like the morning after pill and you can have it for the first two thirds of the pregnancy. Or, you can have an emergency spay to prevent a litter. Not everyone agrees with this, I know, but is there similar for rabbits?

I have to agree Jill, when we took in and kept the 7 ( out of 17 buns) from the Aberdeen rescue we couldn't afford to get them all neutered straight away, but we kept the boys completely separate from the girls, in completely different areas and got the boys neutered as quick as possible. I thought people would have realised, with so many other similar stories on here, how determined rabbits are to get together and breed, and will dig or jump to do it.:(

The male who lives with them has been netured, they have the run of half the garden all day and the other two males have the other half, the dad got throught the gate when I went throught it and that's how she got pregnant, If the other female is pregnant then there's not much I can do about it, as I said they are rescues and I'm in the process of having them done but as you probly know its not cheap so I can't afford to have them all dine in one go.

Can I ask why you are taking on more animals if you can't afford basic care? (spaying is basic care in my book) I would also look into making sure your enclosures are safe so this doesn't happen again.. For the buck to just slip through means you didn't have enough measures in place..

Why don't you get the doe that hasn't had kits yet spayed so you have no worries of more babies coming along?

I may be sounding harsh but personally I have had many entire animals come through my doors for many years, and the only litters I have had, have been from animals that have come in pregnant...

So you have 5 rabbits and only one is neutered? Which rescue are they from?

Really you should not be taking animals on if you cannot afford the basic needs such as neuter, how will you afford the neuter of all the babies too!?

Aside from the breeding catastrophe you are lucky that the un-neutered rabbits are not fighting and the risk of cancer increases daily for the girls.

Are they vaccinated? What space do they all have?

Rescue is something that should be left to the experts that have the facilities and knowledge to care for the animals correctly rather than add to the number of rabbits in the world :cry:

I may have missed something but from what I've read we don't know if these rabbits have come from a rescue or been rescued via some other means, not all rescues routinely spay and neuter (ie, RSPCA!!).

If you can't afford to neuter all at the same time then just do the females first. At least then there is no chance of anything happening while you sort the males out.

What are you going to do with the babies?
As this is down to a bad rescue allowing rabbits to leave un-neutered then I'd go back to them and demand help with the situation your now in.
Pets at home aren't great at sexing animals but at least they used to sort out extra hutches etc.

Whether the buns have come from a rescue or been rescued by the OP the fact remains the same, if you cant afford the basics you don't take them on.

What if one or more of the buns got ill and needed vet care? What would happen then? Not much change from £50 for a consult and basic meds nowadays.

Good grief I come on here for a bit of advice and all I get is grief, these animals were living in a hurrendos state and I couldn't just walk away and leave them, I have enough hitches for all and still have a spare one, they have hitched with runs attached and have the run of half the garden each as stated in my original post also
as stated in my original post 2 of the males have been done so one to go, unfortunately he was to quick one day and dashed out as I opened the gate to his area which I have learnt from and adjusted things to suit, I won't bother asking for advice on here again as clearly you are not here to help but to have a go at the people
needing advice, I appreciate those who have kindly answered my question and thank those.

Good grief I come on here for a bit of advice and all I get is grief, these animals were living in a hurrendos state and I couldn't just walk away and leave them, I have enough hitches for all and still have a spare one, they have hitched with runs attached and have the run of half the garden each as stated in my original post also
as stated in my original post 2 of the males have been done so one to go, unfortunately he was to quick one day and dashed out as I opened the gate to his area which I have learnt from and adjusted things to suit, I won't bother asking for advice on here again as clearly you are not here to help but to have a go at the people
needing advice, I appreciate those who have kindly answered my question and thank those.

and we could all say Good grief another lots of un expected babies....you have to see from both sides..you say they are rescue rabbits but all that has happened is more rabbits arriving..can you not see why rescue workers and supporters get a bit miffed?
We see this all the time..people saying " oh i had to rescue these animals" then saying they have no money to care for them/neuter/vacs, or space to keep them all..it can be very frustrating

I hope you only have one lot of babies arrive and can find the funds to neuter them all and the space to keep them all.
As said nice to have good intentions and a kind heart but sometimes it just isn't enough. Rescue workers aren't nasty..just worn out from swimming against an endless tide

In your original post you stated that "one neutered male and 2 female then sepratly we have 2 males both neutered or so we thought" so you need to have another look at the other male you thought was neutered and not assume he is.

Its a shame you can't understand what we are trying to say... we are indeed here to offer advice, but its not the kind you want to hear.

Tbh I can see why OP is upset...she said she can't afford to have them all neutered at once, not that she isn't going to get them neutered at all. No sense yelling at her over an accident.

Back