• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh Mimzy! :( Today of all days....

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Woke early this morning (well early for me) to find Mimzy was tearing up and possibly eating his puppy pads under his hay floor. :roll: I had to use a bunch of these strapped together with tape last night for his absorbent layer as my washing machine is shot and I couldn't wash his usual towels.
He's been trying to eat those too but only winds up tearing threads out of them. But he took quite a chunk, about the size of my hand, out of the absorbent pad and the plastic blue bottom. I am not certain if he ate much of it or just shredded it.
I don't know why he does this, but today of all days...I have a ton of work to do before this evening when the Relay for Life takes place in town, 30 miles from here. So a long trip back and forth plus any shopping I need to do and the whole time I have to worry that my bun is going to block up because he will not stop chewing stuff he isn't supposed to.
I know to push hay and make sure he either drinks a lot or eats a lot of veggies, but other than that, should I do anything? If he stops eating or pooping he's off to the vet in a thrice, but what else can I do to keep his gut moving so any of that stuff goes through quickly? My daughter will be watching him while I'm out, provided I don't have to take him in and shine the relay, but she'll be very nervous and upset the whole time as she doesn't really know well what to do for him.

I also need a recommendation for a better flooring for his xpen. He doesn't use a litter box due to his arthritis/tilt and I can't keep washing bathtowels to pad it with. Not sure what to do anymore. I want him comfy (he likes the softness) but don't want what he sleeps/plays on to be his main course everyday.

Oy....bunnies! :roll:

Hi, I don't have any real advice to flush his gut out quickly to other than what you are already doing with encouraging as much water and hay as possible but I can sympathize with the eating the puppy pads and everything he should not.
Julie does not seem to eat towels but she does eat paper and all litters. I have always had to use a grate to protect the litter from her or she would dig it up and munch on it like it was dinner. During the point that her arthritis was the worse I used puppy pads which worked great until she found the quilted part edible. It was suggest to me to use a paint tray as a litter box because it is so low to the ground and she could walk in without stepping up. You can only fit a tiny bit of litter so must change it often and for me I didn't use any litter but the pee ran down into the edge well so it keep it away from her. I just had to change it a few times a day depending how much she peed. It would work better if you could use some litter to soak up the pee. I am not sure though if this would work with Mimzy and his head tilt. I just though that I'd throw that out there just in case it might work..
Sending lots of vibes for him,you and your daughter.

Silly Mimzy!!! :roll: I do hope he'll be ok, I'm sure he will :wave: I really don't know what else you could use! Plain old newspaper he would probably still eat I guess, but that wouldn't be as bad as plastic backed pads.. :?

Thanks everyone! :)
I had never thought of paint trays! Wow, that could really work, thanks bunnytoes! :D
Yeah, Mimzy is a great one for finding ways to get attention. He must know I have to travel out today...of course, silly me for putting the pads down in the first place but I thought I had them well hidden. Ah well....
Newspaper is good, but I'm not sure what kind of ink they use on ours up here. If it's not a soy based it can be hurtful to their systems if ingested. I have tried the lowest cat litter pans I could get and they were too high, even tried a baking dish but nope...he took the end of that heavy thing and about killed himself shoving it around when he was still a straight headed bun. :roll:

I'm going to try those paint trays and if he'll use that he can be flat on the lino instead of needing padding. :thumb:

Thanks for all the responses. May we have some vibes for safe passage of anything he ate if there are some going spare? :)

What a day for you! Sending millions of gut moving vibes and i hope any debris passes through safely.

It is in the Bunny Rule Book that they HAVE to eat all things they shouldn't, often whilst not eating what they should ................... :roll:

Fluids and fibre will hopefully flush things through. The stomach of a Rabbit is VERY acidic and so hopefully that will have a significant impact in breaking down any of the padding he has ingested.

I really hope that the rest of your day is less stressful !!

Hope Mimzy will be fine. I am sure she will. When Mr B needs a dental he starts chewing all sorts of things. :roll: In past he has eaten vast amounts of carpet and underlay with no ill effects.

Hope you manage to enjoy your day.

Thanks everyone! :D
Well our Relay this year was lacking in it's usual flash, but so far he is eating and pooping well, albeit he is sleeping much of the day. I have heard him chewing his hay, he's eaten quite a few nice veggies and he has also needed a frozen water bottle, so I'm guessing his review of the temperature today is; too hot for me.
I'll keep a good eye on him, but I am beat...for some reason this has been a very tiring day. So hopefully an early bedtime for me tonight.
Will update in the morning. Goodnight all. :)

Back