• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After a pet has passed very recently...

coco1200

Warren Veteran
Is it normal to get this overwhelming urge to adopt again? :?

I feel like it's too soon to adopt another bunny(ies) but then again, I'm thinking it would be lovely to clear up space in a rescue... and have some company at home...

I don't want to feel that I'm replacing Noisette by bringing some bunnies into my life so soon... but then I find myself on Rabbit Rehome...

agghhh!! I need to get to bed :?

Yep, I was devastated when Floppy died but was even more desperate to get a friend for Willow...

I got her rebonded within a week. I didn't want her to be lonely. I couldn't replace Floppy but felt happier knowing Willow wasn't alone...

Xxx

I think it is quite natural to feel the loss and yet want to try help another animal.
Do not think of it 'replacing' Noisette but getting another friend, and it is testament to her, that she has made you want to give another bun a loving home and secure future.
I always say, 'if you don't think that having lost a human friend means you can't make another is wrong', then this is exactly the same.:D

We all react differently, my vet once said to me that some people need to have that company again almost immeadiatly whereas others never seem able to have another. He was talking about dogs but I don't see a difference.

You have to do what's right for you.x

Everyone is different, some, like me, want one right away, others prefer to wait a while, and some even wait years. It's not a bad thing :) I got Lewis less than 2 weeks after Harris died, I'm glad I didn't wait longer.

Is it normal to get this overwhelming urge to adopt again? :?

I feel like it's too soon to adopt another bunny(ies) but then again, I'm thinking it would be lovely to clear up space in a rescue... and have some company at home...

I don't want to feel that I'm replacing Noisette by bringing some bunnies into my life so soon... but then I find myself on Rabbit Rehome...

agghhh!! I need to get to bed :?

I am really sorry for your loss :( I have a giant Papillion - his name is Moley aka stop doing that!! He is v mischievous sounds like their temperament if Janak was aka menace :) this is Moley:

def599ffbabb3028e8bef359acd8d315.jpg

Did you have any health problems, joints, etc, Moley is having bouts of gut statis and I wondered if it was common in big breeds?

I hope you decide what to do I know I would be devastated to lose Moley, but I would need to get a partner for Poppy...

I think everyone's "normal" is going to be different, but I was exactly the same as you :wave:

Misty had only been gone 2 days when I was looking at adoption sites to weigh up my options. I needed something positive, something to focus on other than what had just happened.
I did feel guilty - and putting human emotions into it, I wouldn't of wanted her to feel as though I was forgetting about her so quickly, because I certainly wasn't. But I looked at my set up and realised how much love I had given to Misty, and what she had taught me about rabbits, and it was such a shame for all that to go to waste.

I'll never forget my beautiful bridge bun or ever stop loving her, just as you will never forget yours, but Lola definitely helped me through the worst part of it all, just knowing she was there was a reason for me to get up and not mope about, I had a new rabbit to help settle in.

Do what is best for you, and if that means finding a new rabbit, then go for it! It definitely helped me x

I think it's totally normal. If you're used to having pets around and then all of a sudden they are not there it feels weird.
I am never trying to replace any pet I have just lost but when they have gone I have the space to help more rescue animals that desperately need a home.....that then frees up space in a rescue for more animals that need help.

Someone sent me a picture on fb when I lost a pet and was thinking the same as you!
The picture said on it 'Sometimes the best way to honour the life of the pet you lost is to save another one. Don't wait too long, a rescue animal is waiting for you'

I think it's totally fine to want that company again so soon, you wouldn't be replacing Noisette, just helping out more bunnies :)

Thank you all for the replies, this has helped very much :) I think it is because I don't have any furries anymore with me and I am seriously pining for that company again already. It just feels so odd not having anybun here to cuddle or feed or nurture. It's very odd. But it's that overriding guilt I get thinking I am replacing, but as you guys have pointed out I certainly am not.

Two things on here said -
'if you don't think that having lost a human friend means you can't make another is wrong'
'Sometimes the best way to honour the life of the pet you lost is to save another one. Don't wait too long, a rescue animal is waiting for you'

these have helped so much! Thank you for posting these halfpenny and Claire.

I have actually found some bunnies... click, The Star Wars bunnies :) A pair or possibly trio! Something completely different from Noisette, or any other bunny I have ever had. I think helping these buns will help me too :) I have enquired about them and am hoping they rehome nationally! I'm not too far from them though, but have my fingers crossed. I was too scared to enquire before, but this thread has really helped. Thank you all :)

I am really sorry for your loss :( I have a giant Papillion - his name is Moley aka stop doing that!! He is v mischievous sounds like their temperament if Janak was aka menace :) this is Moley:

Did you have any health problems, joints, etc, Moley is having bouts of gut statis and I wondered if it was common in big breeds?

I hope you decide what to do I know I would be devastated to lose Moley, but I would need to get a partner for Poppy...

Rab-bit, Moley is beautiful! It was Noisette my Papillon whom I had lost last week :( Giant's are prone to many problems - joints, arthritis and heart problems. They are all genetic because of their large stature. Noisette suffered from them all unfortunately, and yes she was a very statis prone bunny, but happy at that, although I do not think that was breed related, as all breeds suffer from this.

I would be careful in the future as he becomes older and look out for signs if his health deteriorates but don't let this worry you! He may lead a perfectly healthy life and not suffer from anything, but just be wary. I know of too many people who's giants have suffered from congenital genetic disorders (all four of the giants I have owned developed genetic problems) and it's why I could not have another giant again.

He is truly stunning though :love::love:

I think it is quite natural to feel the loss and yet want to try help another animal.
Do not think of it 'replacing' Noisette but getting another friend, and it is testament to her, that she has made you want to give another bun a loving home and secure future.
I always say, 'if you don't think that having lost a human friend means you can't make another is wrong', then this is exactly the same.:D

This is bang on.

I've had the same reaction myself, and also had the 'can't cope with another bun for a while' reaction too. It's a personal decision but considering another bun is definitely not a replacement or an insult to your beautiful girl. :love:

our dog was PTS end of January 2011, we adopted Logan at the end of March 2011. We didn't want another dog initially however you miss that company. And we couldn't leave Logan at the rescue once we'd seen him!

Everyone is different :love: They look adorable Jan, i hope they get back to you soon. The bunnies will be very lucky to have a home with you x

I've always found that so long as there is a place in your heart,in your home and you can afford to look after another furry/feathery/ scaley ...go for it!:thumb:

Isn't it strange that we sometimes seem to think there is a limit to how much we can love, but there isn't, our heart may be of a standard size but love is infinite, if we allow it to be.
I'm really glad you are thinking about getting more bunnies. Working in the vet, I am always so happy when people who have loved, fought and cared for their pet, get another- I know it's going to a good home. I'm sad when people like that say they cannot bare to go through the pain again.

Now, after going all mushy, must be weakened by lack of wine, I'm of for a glass before the bedtime checks.:D

Rab-bit, Moley is beautiful! It was Noisette my Papillon whom I had lost last week :( Giant's are prone to many problems - joints, arthritis and heart problems. They are all genetic because of their large stature. Noisette suffered from them all unfortunately, and yes she was a very statis prone bunny, but happy at that, although I do not think that was breed related, as all breeds suffer from this.

I would be careful in the future as he becomes older and look out for signs if his health deteriorates but don't let this worry you! He may lead a perfectly healthy life and not suffer from anything, but just be wary. I know of too many people who's giants have suffered from congenital genetic disorders (all four of the giants I have owned developed genetic problems) and it's why I could not have another giant again.

He is truly stunning though :love::love:

Thank you coco, I love him to pieces but I worry about him so much, Noistte looked beautiful too.
I think if you're ready for another bun then go for it :) I wish you the best of luck.

Back