• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ear damage

ellie13

New Kit
Ive come home to find one of my rabbits with a large part of his ear torn. I fear it may have been done by the other rabbit. The other one has little cuts all over him with patches of hair loss.
Bathed them in salt water, but wondering if the ear will heal or if the 2 bits will be seperate forever.
I suppose its time to seperate? Was hoping to neuter them before they started fighting.

If they've not been neutered, absolutely separate them....My bunny floppy was viciously attacked by his littermate and despite being neutered they never got on well again and that's why I got Floppy....

Perhaps see a vet too to ensure no infection or abcess is forming...

Al the best
Fee x

Its only happened today, they were both fine yesterday. Theres been no fighting since ive got home, they have the run of the living room and kitchen when someones home.
Im hoping that if i split the pen, keep them next to each other, neuter they might get on then and can live together?

My Rabbit, Rosie has two 'split' ears, one of which was split before I got her and I am not sure how she got the other injury.

So yes, I would imagine the ear will heal 'split' which isn't a problem other than cosmetic :lol:

So theyve been out together all day, following each other, grooming each other, flopping on their sides and snoozing with their heads together.
Ive put them in seperate pens overnight next to each other, and theyre up against the bars to each other, its heartbreaking! Patch is trying to get to Jax, and vice versa, through the bars. I feel so mean!

It happens so often. The ears are so vulnerable. I had many ears thorn. Rufus is even missing a whole part of one ear, never known when that happened. It's impossible to stitch, it heals fast. Some of my bunnies have hard spots in the ears where bitten once.

definitely keep them separated for now, even though you feel mean. maybe take them to the vets aswell to make sure there is no infection :wave:

Back