• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home Bunnies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Do you ever wish that you could go back to when you didn't know about the awful breeding/thousands of rabbits in rescue situation?

Since we got our chickens, mum has suddenly become interested in the pets and is always wanting to pop into PAH after we do the food shopping. There were two beautiful bunnies in there today, a little white lop and a cream and grey lionhead with blue eyes, and they really tugged at my heartstrings. Mum wanted them as well but not only do we not have the space for them, I don't want to buy from a pet shop. The scary thing though is that if I had had the space for them, I don't know 100% whether I could have trusted my willpower.

All I can think about now is them and all the bunnies like them, often sold to people who have no idea and neglect them. It's something that I think about a lot and I often wonder if it would be easier to go back to being blissfully ignorant. Poor babies. I hope they both go to a good home.

It's easier on us to be ignorant, but for every one person who learns the truth there's at least one more animal who's life is transformed. The difference to that one life makes it totally worth it to me. I'd rather make all the difference to a rescue animal :D

It's always on my mind, and I can't stand being in a pet shop when there's families in their and kids pointing saying 'I want that one mummy!' Trying to buy most things online now as I get too mad/ sad in pet shops. The other day in P@H all the assistant asked a family was if they'd had a rabbit before and then just checked off everything on the tick sheet and didn't ask them anything else ...

It's easier on us to be ignorant, but for every one person who learns the truth there's at least one more animal who's life is transformed. The difference to that one life makes it totally worth it to me. I'd rather make all the difference to a rescue animal :D

Very true :) I always feel so sad after I leave a pet shop, which is half the reason I boycott them the majority of the time :lol:

i went in pah today... there was a little bunny i very nearly took home who had been injured and had an open sore which they hadent spotted......

i asked to see him and pointed it out...

he has a lot of character.... he kept using a tunnel to propell himself into the air by making it roll

it killed me to leave him but I knew I had to.....

I got George from P@H but before i got him i talked to mum and dad and we made sure there was somewhere suitable for him to live and we made sure we brought all the right food, bedding etc and even after i had him anytime there was anything i wasnt sure of re diet and things like that i researched them

so not everyone who buys from there is buying on the spur of the moment and probably going to mistreat their pet and give it away when they get bored with it

I got George from P@H but before i got him i talked to mum and dad and we made sure there was somewhere suitable for him to live and we made sure we brought all the right food, bedding etc and even after i had him anytime there was anything i wasnt sure of re diet and things like that i researched them

so not everyone who buys from there is buying on the spur of the moment and probably going to mistreat their pet and give it away when they get bored with it

but a lot do....... today someone bough a tiny hutch told the pah staff they will attach a run when they get the money....

so the buns they bought today could spend a long time in a tiny hutch without a run ......... I wish the pah staff member would have refused unless they bought a run....... :(

The kid was so desperate for the buns I bet they would have bought it if it were the choice between having the buns or not.......

That's not what I was saying :)

so often though they dont know enough arent told enough and think the tiny hutches are ok so the buns suffer a short cramped life...

so often though they dont know enough arent told enough and think the tiny hutches are ok so the buns suffer a short cramped life...

Very true :(
I was in PAH buying my dried herbs last week and an awful family were chosing a bunny.... I hear the scroat of a father say.... Ill give you a fiver for it..... thats all its worth :( and bunny was sold :cry::cry: what sort of home will that poor little thing end up in :cry:
:censored:

it all depends on the sales person... some have made sure the biggest cage was bought and a run with it, others let them take away the tiny ones....

it all depends on the sales person... some have made sure the biggest cage was bought and a run with it, others let them take away the tiny ones....

the sales people in my local PAH are pretty good and most of them know at least the basics, but sadly many people will still ignore their advice anyway

I spoke to our local pets at home staff... They said they try to rehome bunnies in pairs as they don't like the bunnies being rehomed alone...

That said, their adoption section crates/glass are way too small. It breaks my heart to look but I do go in to check they are being looked after. They always have hay and veggies.. Their cage is small:cry: but they always have toys...

Knowing what I know now I would never buy another pet from p@h and advocate for rescues all the way..

I spoke to our local pets at home staff... They said they try to rehome bunnies in pairs as they don't like the bunnies being rehomed alone...

That said, their adoption section crates/glass are way too small. It breaks my heart to look but I do go in to check they are being looked after. They always have hay and veggies.. Their cage is small:cry: but they always have toys...

Knowing what I know now I would never buy another pet from p@h and advocate for rescues all the way..

Ive never come across a PAH who sell in pairs...... Im glad in a way.... as there could be so many more unplanned litters if they all did this :( they dont have a good track record on sexing bunnies :(

I got mine from PAH before I knew better. As much as I would never buy rabbits from a shop again, it still makes me sad when I think who else may have ended up buying them. My local PAH isn't as bad as others I've heard about but I was still given some pretty shoddy advice and it's only when I found RU that I learned the truth. But how many people wouldn't bother to do their own research? I always feel sad when I see rabbits in the shop and wonder what sort of homes they'll end up in.

Ive never come across a PAH who sell in pairs...... Im glad in a way.... as there could be so many more unplanned litters if they all did this :( they dont have a good track record on sexing bunnies :(

I was strongly advised to get a pair, but I wasn't given any advice about pairing/neutering/risk of fighting etc so ended up with 2 fighting females, got them spayed (again after doing my own internet research), but by then it was too late so have had separately-living females for the last two years. But that brings a lot of extra care and cost and I wonder how many people in a similar situation would feel unable to cope and possibly neglect or give them away.

Do you ever wish that you could go back to when you didn't know about the awful breeding/thousands of rabbits in rescue situation?

Since we got our chickens, mum has suddenly become interested in the pets and is always wanting to pop into PAH after we do the food shopping. There were two beautiful bunnies in there today, a little white lop and a cream and grey lionhead with blue eyes, and they really tugged at my heartstrings. Mum wanted them as well but not only do we not have the space for them, I don't want to buy from a pet shop. The scary thing though is that if I had had the space for them, I don't know 100% whether I could have trusted my willpower.

All I can think about now is them and all the bunnies like them, often sold to people who have no idea and neglect them. It's something that I think about a lot and I often wonder if it would be easier to go back to being blissfully ignorant. Poor babies. I hope they both go to a good home.

do you buy products from P at H ?

do you buy products from P at H ?

Generally no, I avoid going there at all costs. I did pick up a few toys for the bunnies recently when we went in for chicken supplies (my parents are a bit ignorant to PAH practices and refuse to go anywhere else :roll:) and I immediately felt bad about it :lol: the buns enjoyed their presents though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back