• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Great Crested Grebe Courtship.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
For anybody who likes birds or wildlife, I got these shots yesterday. Technically they should have chicks by now, but with the weather they are very far behind. It doesn't help that the male (the one with the larger crest on the right) is completely inexperienced and doesn't really know what he is doing. :lol: It took him several attempts to even get this bit right! :lol:
For those that don't know their courtship display, the male is meant to pick up some nesting material (in this case..algae!) and "dance" with the female. Eventually the nesting material is passed to the female to secure their bond.

The female showing him what to do!

Male finally grasping the concept.

Looking very proud of himself. :thumb:

These are fantastic pictures, we see grebes on the loch nearest to us at times and the babies are very cute. :lol:

I volunteer at an RSPB reserve so I get to see some amazing birds! :love: These two just made me laugh so much that I had to share. :)

What an amazing moment to capture! Obviously he likes his women a bit more mature and experienced, it's a good job too :p

I love grebes :love: I dont believe we have the great crested here, they're very beautiful! Great pics :D

Back