• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Furby 9.6.13

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Am taking Furby back to the vet later today.

His head tilt is very noticeable now and I can see he sometimes has difficulty balancing. I need to put his food right in front of him or he won't eat. I do wonder if his sight is affected.

He is still on penicillin, vetergesic and panacur but I want to know if there is anything else we can try. I have run out of penicillin anyway.

His sore eye is much better now and he isn't snuffly at all. He still has his 'Furbiness'. He stresses at the vet but I think I need to take him with me this time so he can be weighed and reviewed. I will take Faye as well as he finds her presence a comfort.

Any spare vibes would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Poor Furby was laying on his side in the carrier when we got to the vet. He was struggling with his balance - it was horrid to see.

The good news is that his snuffliness seems to have abated for now, but poor Furby has this awful head tilt. The vet gave him a steroid injection while I held him. Furby has lost weight too:(

I've been given more penicillin - 10 ml - and am to continue with the vetergesic and panacur. Does anyone know how long I should continue with the panacur? I forgot to ask the vet and have almost run out. It was £7.00 at PAH and is £9.00 at my vet and I've found it for under £5.00 on-line but then have to pay for delivery.

Poor Furby must feel awful. I syringe fed him and he took it well as always. Yesterday there was a huge improvement in Furby's balance. He nommed everything I gave him, including pellets, so I didn't syringe feed him. If I pick him up it seems to take him ages to re-centre but when he is left alone he can even get up his ramp OK. I am going to try to medicate him on the ground so I don't upset his equilibrium.

He is such a brave bun - he is really fighting to stay with us. I know very little about EC. Not sure if that is what he has but the steroid injection made a real difference.

Thank you for the vibes Nikki xx

come on Furby!! .. get well healing vibes for you!!

lots of noserubs for continued recovery

Hugs to you too Rhianna!

fee xxx

Thank you both.

Thank you for the hugs. On Friday when I took Furby to the vet I really questioned whether it was fair to keep Furby going as he was so unsteady on his feet and looked scared. He is a lot better since his injection and I think he has a reasonable quality of life. He has Faye, his noms and the sunshine at the moment.

Now the weather is nicer and we could go for a walk maybe I could come for a visit, Amanda? I know you have someone staying at the moment and I am working almost full-time next week, but maybe after that? I can't stay over because of Furby's meds but could come up early and leave late?

Thank you both.

Thank you for the hugs. On Friday when I took Furby to the vet I really questioned whether it was fair to keep Furby going as he was so unsteady on his feet and looked scared. He is a lot better since his injection and I think he has a reasonable quality of life. He has Faye, his noms and the sunshine at the moment.

Now the weather is nicer and we could go for a walk maybe I could come for a visit, Amanda? I know you have someone staying at the moment and I am working almost full-time next week, but maybe after that? I can't stay over because of Furby's meds but could come up early and leave late?

You are more than welcome to come at any time. My friends daughter has gone to Edinburgh for a week or two as she has some Aussie friends there. She is planning to travel a lot of Europe too but didn't expect the UK and Europe to be so expensive, compared to Asia anyway.

Its hard when a bunny has ongoing health issues but as long as Furby is content and you feel he still enjoying life, keep trying. We will have long term dental problems with Mr B. Which means he isn't good for at least a week every two months now. His spurs always lacerate his tongue and it takes a week for him to recover, he has a dreadful mite infection which won't clear up after 5 treatments, the 6th is due on Tuesday and he gets a mucky bottom a few times a week, other than that he is happy. He will always be on the delicate side.

It will be good to see Mr B again - and you, too, of course.

I loved the look of the river last time I was down even though it was rainy and flooded. I imagine it is great in the sunshine. My diary is upstairs but I'll have a look and PM you with some days to see if any suit you?

It will be good to see Mr B again - and you, too, of course.

I loved the look of the river last time I was down even though it was rainy and flooded. I imagine it is great in the sunshine. My diary is upstairs but I'll have a look and PM you with some days to see if any suit you?

I am meant to be starting work and its nearly a month since I had the interview but they are still working out the budget and hours. It was originally every Saturday, as well as two other days, but I have no idea what is happening now.

River is great. I noticed the boat hire sign across the road is back up again, or there are the riverside pubs. ;)

Give Furby a big cuddle from me poor baby x
He's your bunny, you will know if he still wants to fight :)

I'll give him a stroke in the morning. He definitely wants to fight but seeing him unbalanced was really distressing.

Am worried about my 24 hour shift on Thursday. Will have to ask my Manager if I can come home to medicate Furby. I finish work at 1815 and am then on-call until 0745 but it is really busy at the moment and one of my colleagues ended up staying on-site for 24 hours as there was no gap in clients. I am there on my own after 1700 so I will have to come home before that. I am in so much debt I couldn't turn the shift down though.

I've just been to Bluesmum's for supper and to pick up some nommy hay and SS pellets and Furby was eating the pellets quite happily. He also tried to hump Faye - quite a feat with his head tilt - and she was not impressed!!!

I just wish his head tilt would correct itself. It's horrid to see him like that:(:(

Thank you all for the vibes - Furby and I really appreciate them.

Back