• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

polystyrene or rockwool insulation?

lauraandmike

Warren Scout
Not sure which is best to insulate a shed? Any advice on this would be helpful. Someone has offered me some of the old style roof insulation called wool, but ive read it might not be as insulating as polystyrene. And im worried about the dust when i cut it.
Thanks laura

I would worry about the fibres from loft insulation. We used Kingspan in ours which is expensive but good.

When we were insulating the shed my dad told me (he'd done some research!) that some of the wool types contain something toxic, there's only one type that's pure wool or something that's safe. Hope someone else can explain that better than me!

We used the foil bubble wrap type stuff.

I wouldn't use regular loft insulation in the bunny shed - it often contains glass fibres which get everywhere and are not particularly nice. I'd stick with either polystyrene sheeting (as long as it's covered afterwards so the bunnies can't nibble it) or a natural fibre such as wool or paper.

Ooh thanks for your replies. Im now completely put off of the wooly stuff. Will look at polysytene and bubble wrap. Any ideas where i can buy this cheap? Ebay perhaps. Its not cheap stuff! And neither is plywood.
Laura

I'm going to buy this stuff for my shed:-

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insula...L-1200-x-W-450-x-T-25mm-9273748?skuId=9283448

Not sure how good it is but its £2.18 per sheet.
They do a thicker one as well for £3.78
Not sure if this is cheapest on the market but bnq is close to me, so its easier to pick it up in person.
I hope this helps. :)

Thanks! I didnt realise that that stuff was insulation. So many decisions. But worth it when its boiling or freezing hey. The polysterene is 6 quid per approx 2 metre sheet.

Back