• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't know what to do. We are so confused as what is best for Julie.

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
She starts nibbling then goes back to not eating at all. Syringe feedings are sheer torture during the times that she isn't nibbling on food at all. Yesterday she seem to be coming around and nibbling quite a bit but now she hasn't pooped at all since Wednesday morning at 4 am which were teeny tiny. She was doing a lot of tooth grinding, after the pain meds she became active and wanted tons and tons of love and acted like she was starving and even grabs hay and tries to eat it but then just can't seem to. She acts most interested in hay like really really excited. The only thing that she seems to be able to eat is a tiny raisin.
Today I called her vet and talked to her and 2 other vets and talked to them. Effie, Julie's regular vet couldn't see her until tomorrow evening and Julie really stressed on the last long trip over there. She does not travel well anyways and has been to vets 4 times in two weeks.
One vet was recommended to me by the women who runs the cat rescue that I volunteer at. He claims to be rabbit savvy. The idea with him was to use him as an emergency vet for Julie. He is 13 minutes away. He is the only vet in a private practice. After hours the calls go to his house and he returns the call in 5 minutes. I decided to take Julie there and have him consult with Effie. Effie had a meeting that she couldn't get out of during that time but sent over all her records. This vet is older and acts like he knows rabbits but has a very different approach than Effie.
He told us to stop the Tramadol,ear drops and the gut stimulus. He says to just give one .5 ml dose of the metacan in the morning instead the two doses of .5 ml and the oral abx and the abx injection. He said that they can all cause the gut to slow down. Effie had said that too but thought at this point that we should try as she was to weak and would not survive a GA to even have her tooth looked at. He agreed about the GA but did an oral exam.
She is hydrated so doesn't need fluids .
He could find no other reason as to why she is not eating or why Julie is acting like she is starving and wants to eat but then can't seem to.
He is battled as to why she is acting like this. He did look in her mouth without sedating her and put his fingers in her mouth and felt around around her jaw and said that he doesn't feel any swelling or anything that indicates that she still has the abscess. She didn't flinch when he felt. He tummy felt fine.
He thinks that Effie took care of the abscess t when she drained it. He said that her mouth should smell bad too if it was still abscessed/infected. He checked her ears. She had more wax again. He looked at it under the microscope and found no infections. He thinks the ear drops and abx already took care of it. He checked her throat and felt it and it seems fine.
He said to try giving her soften alpha hay and coastal clover. I couldn't find coastal clover but bought alpha and she acts excited about it and chins it. She is chinning all the food instead of really eating it. In fact she is chinning other things in the house.

The vet that another member on this forum found for me through a US based forum returned my call after we returned home from the close vet. She said that oral exams miss 50 % of all problems. She knows of Effie even though Effie doesn't know of her. She doesn't seem interested in consulting with Effie as she says that Effie is the best rabbit vet around our area and advises that we stick with her. She did mention another vet further away that we could consult with Effie if she really wanted another vet involved. Effie is willing to work with another vet.
I am waiting for her to call back so I can ask if she thinks that we should stop all those meds. She will call tonight after her appointments.
We are so confused as what to do. Don't know if we should risk the GA so Effie can look at the tooth and in her ear or stop meds or carry on as we are. It seems like we are torturing Julie with all the force feedings and meds.
Sorry for rambling. Hope any of this makes some sense. I have been sleeping with her and giving round the clock nursing. I am so sleep deprived and at a lost as to what to do now. Julie licks and licks me and wants love. This is heart breaking. Why won't/can't she eat? She is drinking and peeing.

Last edited:
I am just sitting with her trying to comfort her. She wants to be comforted by me and seeks it.
I just started to cry and she reached up and licked my eyes. She is trying to comfort me.:cry: Bless the poor baby.

She took a nibble of mint, baby greens and tried to eat a piece of hay. I have given gut stimulat half hour ago.

That seems a bit of a small amount of metacam, and the vet saying to stop doing it so much I wouldn't listen.
My vet said to me that there was a study done on rabbit's in stasis and it showed that thee was no eason for the gut slowdown some of the time,other than as a direct result of pain that causes the rabbit to stop eating.
That's why painkillers are such an important part of treating a bunny that won't eat.
I wonder if her throat is inflamed?
Have they listened to her breathing through her throat?

*hugs* as long as she has fight in her you can help her. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Have you tried fresh grass - particularly if she's nibbling herbs. Just stuff from a normal lawn as long as it hasn't been treated with anything. Many bunnies prefer it to hay and it's softer but has all the fibre they need.

It can be tricky getting them to start eating, I don't know if they are just a bit unsure about it after feeling unwell/sore.

I would get some grass, and hand feed, take a stalk and tickle her top lip with it. It sounds a bit mean but often they get a little annoyed, grab it and then start chewing :lol: You could try the same thing with the hay.

Try a variety of things to, the herbs are a great idea! They often have different preferences when they are sick and as you are feeding small amount you can to a certain extent through out the normal rules on the grounds that anything is better than nothing. On that note, I would also try rolled oats (porridge oats) just soak them in water and see what she thinks. They often go down well.

That seems a bit of a small amount of metacam, and the vet saying to stop doing it so much I wouldn't listen.
My vet said to me that there was a study done on rabbit's in stasis and it showed that thee was no eason for the gut slowdown some of the time,other than as a direct result of pain that causes the rabbit to stop eating.
That's why painkillers are such an important part of treating a bunny that won't eat.
I wonder if her throat is inflamed?
Have they listened to her breathing through her throat?

*hugs* as long as she has fight in her you can help her. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I agree with you. I questioned her throat but he said that it seems fine.
I am really thinking that we both just so much wanted to believe in him. Stop the meds and she gets better would be the best ever. Mostly because giving the meds and feedings seems like we are torturing her. I am at the point that I am taking her to any vet that will see her. I am so desperate but I think she may think that she is being tortured with the meds and feedings. She still wants love from me. I just want her to feel better and not be in pain. She is tooth grinding.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear Julie is not very well, nose rubs for her!
Herbs are great to get buns eating and so are the dried herbs you can get from pet shops!

Have you tried fresh grass - particularly if she's nibbling herbs. Just stuff from a normal lawn as long as it hasn't been treated with anything. Many bunnies prefer it to hay and it's softer but has all the fibre they need.

It can be tricky getting them to start eating, I don't know if they are just a bit unsure about it after feeling unwell/sore.

I would get some grass, and hand feed, take a stalk and tickle her top lip with it. It sounds a bit mean but often they get a little annoyed, grab it and then start chewing :lol: You could try the same thing with the hay.

Try a variety of things to, the herbs are a great idea! They often have different preferences when they are sick and as you are feeding small amount you can to a certain extent through out the normal rules on the grounds that anything is better than nothing. On that note, I would also try rolled oats (porridge oats) just soak them in water and see what she thinks. They often go down well.

Thank you. I have been giving her the timothy grass that I grow in pots for her. She normally loves it and when she in nibbling mode she will nibble on that. All the lawn grass is treated and her grass is starting to dwindle as I keep cutting it for her. I have been offering oats herbs anything and everything. She has just nibbled quite a bit. She nibbled would lie down then get up and nibble again but even when she is not nibbling she acts excited and like she wants to but spits it back out or chins it. She is chinning everything tonight. She goes in cycles where she will nibble quite a bit and I think she is getting better then she won't nibble at all just acts like she wants to. The alfalfa hay is new to her but she acts all crazy about it and tries to eat it.

Last edited:
Julie is eating!!! She ate some baby lettuce leaves,grass,mint, cilantro and steamed alfalfa hay. She ate a goodly amount. I didn't listen to that vet about the stopping the meds..
I gave her all her meds tonight (ear drops,Zeniquin, Metoclopramide,2nd dose of Metacam). I did skip her second dose of Tramadol though. The vet thought that might be the main culprit in stopping her from eating. I thought I'd just hold off on that one. I have know idea if that is what worked or not BUT she is nibbling. Now waiting for poos. She looks brighter.
She has been roller coastering so much ................. Hopefully she will keep eating and poop soon.
Thanks everyone for all the advice and helpful hints. It seems to be working.

You poor soul. You're desperate to help her in any way possible except nothing helps at times. I am really pleased she has eaten well today, long may that continue. I wish I could say something to help but I am sending thousands of vibes for her. The wee soul licking your eyes when you were upset is beautiful.:love::love:

I just found this thread. Poor Julie and poor you. :( But at least she took a goodly amount of food and that is promising! :)
I agree that perhaps the tramadol may have upset her tum. (I found that to be the case with my dogs anyway.) But I'd be sure to watch for any recurrence of pain.
I am guessing the extra snuggling she's asking for may be just because she is unsure why all the extra medicating and stuff is going on. I wish we could talk with them in their own language and tell them that we're just trying to help. She may pick up on your stress too. I can sympathise with the lack of sleep, I don't think I got a decent night's rest all last year while Mimzy had tilt.
Sounds like she's got fight in her. She sounds like a strong girl, despite all that's gone on.
How precious that she sought to comfort you too. Made me tear up, that. :love:

I hope you're able to get some rest. Take care of you too! :)
((((((((((((((((((((((Supervibes for Julie)))))))))))))))))))))

Hi there,my rabbit had a lenthy operation to remove a tooth and was also spayed she stopped eating and was grinding her teeth in pain. I tried tempting her with everything and it worked in the end she ate some lavendar flat leafed parsley and then some chilled carrot sliced with a vegeatable peeler I think it cooled her gums down. It was tiny amounts to begin with then her appetite began to increase and she is now on the up and up.

If she had not eaten my next thing was going to be carrot flavoured baby food . Other things to tempt with are weetabix and digestive biscuits if you can get them.

I don't like to force feed as it is very stressful for them she seem to eat also when I put the radio on or if shw see my other rabbit running around or heard him eating hay .

Hope she's ok

So sorry to heart this but glad she seems a little better.

How is she with soft foods like porridge or pellets soaked in water? I wonder if there's pressure pain when she chews hard food? Sending millions of vibes. x

So sorry, what a difficult situation :( It is so difficult when you're getting conflicting advice but it sounds as though you should follow your instincts, you know her best. Hope she improves soon.

Julie is eating!!! She ate some baby lettuce leaves,grass,mint, cilantro and steamed alfalfa hay. She ate a goodly amount. I didn't listen to that vet about the stopping the meds..
I gave her all her meds tonight (ear drops,Zeniquin, Metoclopramide,2nd dose of Metacam). I did skip her second dose of Tramadol though. The vet thought that might be the main culprit in stopping her from eating. I thought I'd just hold off on that one. I have know idea if that is what worked or not BUT she is nibbling. Now waiting for poos. She looks brighter.
She has been roller coastering so much ................. Hopefully she will keep eating and poop soon.
Thanks everyone for all the advice and helpful hints. It seems to be working.

Wonderful news. Come on Julie, keep eating.:thumb::love::love:

Let's hope that Julie is nowon the road to recovery.:love

Forget to mention a little tip I've picked up. If Julie is still happy to groom herself, why not syringe a little mashed up (with water) pellet mix/ steamed broccoli etc and pop some on her paws. Bunnies being bunnies will usually clean themselves up asap and this way might encourage Julie to want to eat again/more.

Fingers crossed for Julie. xxx

Last edited:
Julie seems much brighter and much more comfortable this morning. She nibbled quite a bit last night. She hasn't started eating this morning yet but she did take her Metacam willing from the syringe then drank some water from her bowl and ate a tiny mint leaf. I am waiting to give the Metacam time to kick in before even attempting to syringe feed her and completely stress her out.
Seems like taking her off the Tramadol has really helped to get her nibbling again.
I was really wondering if I should also skip the Metocopramide like the vet yesterday said. Her regular vet is in surgery this morning still. Julie and I both slept through the middle of the night dose. I think that I will give it to her if she does not start nibbling soon. I made her some mush with pumpkin,critical care and oats hoping that she'd eat it from the bowl. She also has pellet mush,plain oats,a mix of baby greens and herbs and steamed hay too. She did eat a teeny tiny piece of strawberry.

Back