• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dried / toasted bread

kezaroo

New Kit
Hi

I have read (in a book, not on here) that you can feed dried bread / toast to rabbits but can anyone tell me what age is best to start introducing it? My bunnies are 8/9 weeks old.

Thanks in advance

I cant see that wheat is any good for rabbits. Somebody who knows will probably be along soon.

They would eat it, but it is a pointless food to feed them, not really what a rabbit needs in terms of nutrition.

It is good to use a small piece of bread at times when giving medication as you can drop the meds on to the bread.

I would stick to things like dandelion, herbs and dried natural treats.....keeps bunnies much healthier :)

They would eat it, but it is a pointless food to feed them, not really what a rabbit needs in terms of nutrition.

It is good to use a small piece of bread at times when giving medication as you can drop the meds on to the bread.

I would stick to things like dandelion, herbs and dried natural treats.....keeps bunnies much healthier :)

Thank you so much! My parents have rabbits and they feed them very burnt toast and it hasn't done them any harm. But Ozzy & Sooty are my babies and I don't want to feed them something which probably isn't too good for their stomachs.

Thanks again!

I do give my rabbits a quarter piece of toast nearly every day (not white bread), not for nutrition (sp?) but as a treat. Hasn't done them any harm :)

If you go back a few decades, bunnies were often fed on kitchen scraps like bread, potato peelings etc. so you need to watch the age of books/info. I confess, Scamp occasionally gets a corner of toast but it's a treat not staple diet.

With youngsters it's definitely best to stick to the proper diet whilst they are more sensitive to things. I would give your bunnies a couple of weeks to settle in their new home, feeding them whatever they were fed before you got them and then you can make gradual changes introducing new foods.

Back