• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My boy has vestibular disease...

bridget

Alpha Buck
I noticed last night Kirk didn't seem his usual self so I took him to vet this morning. She diagnosed him. I told her he seems to be stumbling and he has a nodding head. The gave him some injections and told me to be prepared that he may not get better and it may be necessary to have him pts. I mean, he's not an extreme case but he's certainly not happy and the minute. Do they get better from this or will he be like this from now on with the nodding head? I am to take him back to the vet tomorrow to see if there is any improvement. To top it all off I am supposed to be going on holiday tomorrow and my partner's mum is staying to look after the rabbits. I just want my boy better, I love him but he's just been sat on the garden for hours now nodding his head and he's not eating. He's had a gut stimulant for that too :cry:

Im sorry hes poorly, hope he gets better and soon. I dont know anything about what he has hopefully someone will come along with some positive info xx

One of my Rabbits developed the condition acutely 3 days ago. His is the result of a worsening chronic ear infection.

What was the injection the Vet gave, apart from the metoclopramide ?

My Rabbit was gravely ill for about 24 hours but to our amazement this morning he has shown remarkable signs of improvement

His medication is :

An injectable penicillin every 24 hours
Meloxicam ( a non steroidal anti-inflammatory) at maximum dose rate every 12 hours
Metoclopramide every 8 hours
Ranitidine every 12 hours
A pro/prebiotic +fibre paste twice a day

Subcutaneous fluids as and when required

Assisted feeding, although he is now eating for himself so I am holding off on the assisted feeds.

Hope he gets better soon.

Do you mind if I ask what vestibular disease is? Is it a disease in it's own right or does it just refer to head tilt?

One of my Rabbits developed the condition acutely 3 days ago. His is the result of a worsening chronic ear infection.

What was the injection the Vet gave, apart from the metoclopramide ?

My Rabbit was gravely ill for about 24 hours but to our amazement this morning he has shown remarkable signs of improvement

His medication is :

An injectable penicillin every 24 hours
Meloxicam ( a non steroidal anti-inflammatory) at maximum dose rate every 12 hours
Metoclopramide every 8 hours
Ranitidine every 12 hours
A pro/prebiotic +fibre paste twice a day

Subcutaneous fluids as and when required

Assisted feeding, although he is now eating for himself so I am holding off on the assisted feeds.

Many thanks for your reply Jane (and others for best wishes) I appreciate it.

OK, I am just going by the receipt here - some may be abbreviations?

Metacam
Enrocare Sol
Vomend

I am taking him back tomorrow at 9.00am. I've just been out to see him now and he's still sat in the same place, tried him with some food but he's not interested. When my partner gets home I will ask him to hold him so I can syringe feed him something. I tried doing it by myself earlier but it's not possible.

Thanks for all the replies. I am so relieved - he has made a fantastic recovery. He is just like his normal self you wouldn't believe he was so poorly just over a week ago. I love that boy - Daisy and him are munching through some carrot tops out in the sun as I type this :D

Hey thanks everyone. I honestly thought my boy was on his last few days and the tears I had shed, I never knew I could cry so much. I had never seen him so bad but that little cherub is a fighter I will give him that! :love:

Back