• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our First Bonding - Otter and Charlie

milton

New Kit
Hi All,

After the truama of a couple of weeks ago loosing our female bunnie Olive through a difficult pregnancy her companion Otter - Nearly 2 years old) is now ready(we believe) for a new friend.

Our other Rabbit Charlie 1 year old has been on his own since we got him.

When we got Otter and Olive they bonded immediately and we didn't ever have to do anything hence why i am calling this our first bonding.

I would love to hear any advice/guidence. I will post regularly with what is happening and any comments on behavior would be greatly appreciated.

Here goes: Day 1.
They have been living side by side with back to back runs for ages the way we built the hutch there was a section where there was only a wire grate seperating them so they know each other.
Anyway we have blocked of a small area of neutral ground and plopped them in.
Immediately Charlie spent the first 10 minutes humping Otter, with Otter not seeming to mind. After that there was some fur pulling and otter got a little annoyed No real fighting, they both kepp offering their heads to be licked but neither did that yet... Charlie just resulted in humping Otter's Head.
Towards the end there was a minor fratch but nothing i was too concerned about. Charlie on several occasion laid down with otter staying the other side of the hutch... the little fratches occured when Charlie the got up and approached Otter.
The only other behavior that occured was that on 2 occasions Charlie stomped.

We have now put them back in their hutches, but from another suggestion put them in each others hutch for a little while. I do think otter was a little anoyed at this as after they had both had a good sniff around otter bit Charlie on the ear. Nothing bad but a bit Charlie ran off and hid.

Anyway, are there any thought on their first date? anything i should have/should not have done?

Thanks Again!
Gary

Last edited:
Day 3.
We again brought Otter and charlie in for a bonding date.
Today they ignored each other for the best part. No fighting which was good. Charlie on a couple of occasions was laying down. And they both were happy to wash themselves albeit at opposite site of their play area. The only other behaviours were they came head to head. Both laying their head.to the ground to be licked. Neither licked the other and otter moved away from the 'stand off' first. They were towards the end of their date sitting closer to each other. About half a rabbits distance between them.
Any thoughts on how anyone more experianced could offer would be great! :) thanks
Gary

Not had any bonding experience but going purely on what I have read on RU your method so far sounds good. Keep dating, perhaps increase the time together. Hopefully an experienced bonder will come along soon. Best of luck :wave:

Hi all again.
We were going to just update every s9 often but I thought that I would share the developments. Initialy when the were put in the bonding area otter shoved his head under charlies nose and stomped. After that they seemed to ignore each other for 5 mins but the last 20 mins was spent with charlies head to the ground and otter grooming him! I don t want to tempt fate but is this a good sign so early on? Thanks again. Milton

Today was not as smooth. After a lot of circling trying to mount each other they began to fight. We put space between them but after a short while they began fighting again. Nothing too serious but it did escalate to the ppint we put them back in their hutches again. Try again tomorrow I guess.
Is this normal?!

Hi all,

Today my partner has taken the day off work and has them in their bonding pen for the day.
There... so far.. have been no major scraps which is good.
The behaviour I am finding a little strange is that otter is charging towards charlie... then grooming him. Charlie just puts his head down and lets him get on with it. He seems really scared.
Is this normal?
Thanks
Gary

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes they are both desexed.
Theu seem to have gone backward a few steps and charlie is now petrified of otter. And keeps sprinting and often jumping out of the run!!

Any suggestions please?!

Many thanks
Gary

Without jinxing anything i though i would share with you our progress.

On sunday we chose to do the "you will be together" tactic and kept them in our room all night. from then they spent the day together under the watchful eye and went into the neurtralised hutch on the monday. Since then they (touch wood) have gone from strength to strength!

I wouldnt say they are 100% there yet and there are a few minor fratches but we are happy to leave them alone now! :)
YAY!! See Otter (Black Otter) and Charlie below!
Thanks Again
Milton

4f2i.jpg

Last edited:
Back