• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Foxie- u/d not going ahead.

Jaffacake

Alpha Buck
I've told this story so many times before on here, so I won't go into too many details!

We got two girl buns who turned out to be poorly snuffles boy buns (P@H :censored:), they began to fight quite severely over night and we didn't realise until Merry had done some proper damage to Foxie, at which point they were separated. Merry died whilst being castrated probably due in part to his snuffles, and the fact we went with a cheaper vet than our usual vet. He'd been on 2 courses of antibiotics which didn't work, and the vet advised we get him done anyway as he'd started attacking us and the cats.

We went back to our usual vet and tried Foxie on a stronger course of antibiotics which also didn't work. The vet said as it was such a mild case if we were careful he would probably live a normal life.
But he was sad :cry: He stopped binkying, he sat in the corner on his own all day, he needed a friend- he's just that type of rabbit. :(

He had never shown any sexual behaviour after Merry's attack on him that left him quite damaged, so we thought it would be fine to introduce a girly. We talked to our local shelter who let us adopt the spayed bunny Bella as long as we signed a contract saying we would risk having Foxie done before we returned Bella to the shelter if things didn't work.

At first, we were worried. He chased and humped her more than I thought was normal, and she just ran away from him. However, after reading different accounts we decided to try just letting them sort it as neither has ever shown any aggression to the other. It worked! They cuddle up and groom each other, they are currently flopped out next to each other in the garden. He doesn't chase her anymore really, and they were happy.

And then the sun came... and in the last couple of weeks he has decided that he is going to repeatedly try and hump our cats, which they are not impressed by :roll: He's started chasing Bella a bit more, and he's started circling us when we are outside.
So we've booked him in to be done tomorrow at a rabbit savvy vet (I got details from this website) that is 25 minutes away from our house. My mum is not impressed about driving that far, until I told her she is welcome to take him to our regular vets- but if he dies then how will she feel? She then said the journey wasn't too bad...

I am terrified something will go wrong and we'll lose him. I am terrified that I'll have to feel guilty forever, because I am the one who made my parents get him a friend. I just want him to be happy and I know he wasn't! But if this goes wrong I could lose him completely...

So good vibes for Foxie please :cry:

Last edited:
Lots of vibes. I would make sure that the vets you are taking him to has done lots of neuteurs and this is just an every day occurence to put your mind at rest. It isn't as big an op as a spay but it's always a worry.

I'm sure the percentage of losing him is very small as most rabbits on here have been neuteured and are fine. The recovery time is also quicker than a spay.

Good luck though. Get lots of tasty herbs in to tempt him to eat after. Doughnut went off her pellets when she was spayed for a couple of days and much preferred anything fresh. Maybe pick some grass too.

Lots of vibes. I would make sure that the vets you are taking him to has done lots of neuteurs and this is just an every day occurence to put your mind at rest. It isn't as big an op as a spay but it's always a worry.

I'm sure the percentage of losing him is very small as most rabbits on here have been neuteured and are fine. The recovery time is also quicker than a spay.

Good luck though. Get lots of tasty herbs in to tempt him to eat after. Doughnut went off her pellets when she was spayed for a couple of days and much preferred anything fresh. Maybe pick some grass too.

I've never been nervous before! Our first two rabbits we had no problem with, and Bella was fine. We didn't even say goodbye to Merry because we were in such a rush and we didn't think anything could go wrong with such a simple op... but then he never came home :cry:

Our usual vet sees quite a lot of rabbits, but these guys are like rabbit gurus by the looks of it http://www.woodvet.co.uk/16/meet-the-team
It's just the snuffles that makes me so scared, and the fact that his brother didn't make it so what if it's genetic? Or if they put him under and he reacts to the anaesthetic... :(

Thanks for the advice! Can't imagine him ever going off his food ;)

And thanks for the vibes everyone! :love:

Lots of vibes for Foxie and for you. Both mine were fine (after being very quiet for most of the day). Hope he and Bella are settled and happy together for many years to come :love:

Big vibes for Foxie My bridge bun Pipkin had a GA & snuffles & she survived So try to stay positive Just tell the vet what happened with Merry & they'll be extra vigilant Good luck I look forward to hearing how well it goes

Thank you so much, it means a lot to me!:love: Especially as there is no one in RL I know who understands why I am nervous. I will upload some photos of him being spoilt tomorrow after the op :lol:

((((((Vibes being sent for successful surgery and quick post op recovery)))))))
((((((((Lots of calming vibes for you)))))))) xxxx

Sending vibes for dear Foxie. xxxxxxx Hope all goes well today.

Hello to you in sunny Cheltenham I'm in sunny Pershore, not a million miles away.:wave:

Thanks everyone! Calming vibes for me are also appreciated ;)

Just got back from dropping him off. It was a 30 minute drive to the vets, and when I got there it was a lot more commercial than our usual vets so I got a bit worried. But then the nurse took us into a side room and asked us loads of questions about him, like if he's been off food or water recently, what his favourite treats are, more details on his snuffles etc. And she reassured us that the vet will do a thorough health check before they put him under.
When she asked about whether or not he was eating and drinking fine, I said 'yes, but he prefers to drink out of a bowl.' and she said 'That was my next question!' :)
She also said if for some reason he doesn't get over the anaesthetic straight away they have a surgeon on site 24 hours a day, and he can stay in and they will work with him through the night to make sure they get food into him.
We also got a pre-op care booklet through the post telling us stuff like 'don't restrict his food or water' (which we already know, but as many don't it's great that they do that).

So all in all, feeling good :) Will be feeling better when he's home though! Bought him a bunch of willow sticks, crunchy treats and a dog rope (cus he likes throwing things!) for when he gets home. Cost £75 though! Hope he appreciates the extra £30 and the £6 petrol money this place cost :lol:

Mrs Bunnykins, that's cool! And Cheltenham is actually sunny today :D

Sending lots of vibes for Foxie and to you. It is such a worry! You have given him the best chance to get through this by using such good vets. :thumb:

Thanks guys! :love:

Big anti-climax... the vets have decided they don't want to operate on him today. Since we dropped him off he hasn't stopped sneezing apparently. Considering I haven't heard him sneeze for a couple of days I am a bit surprised, but glad that they noticed and decided not to go ahead.

They are going to put him on a two week course of anti-biotics before they operate. He's been on two different types on three occassions, and they are going to try a different type. Then we are going to take him for another check up and if he has improved then they will book him in for castration that week.

My dad and I are going to get him at 4:30pm, as I can't drive (I'm nearly 22, so I really should get a move on and learn!)

Back