• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Chrissy has a head tilt...

Tonya

Alpha Buck
Yesterday she was up for her dental with her new vet for the first time, as her usual left for her maternity leave. She had one front tooth regrown (her front teeth were extracted after a bone infection) and the new vet extracted it (she said that if it seems too difficult for her she'll just burr it but it seems to have been ok). She came back home, all ok, even tried to nibble this and that.
In the morning I noticed one of her eyes was not perfect, but sometimes it happens as during the dental her eyes dry and the vet doesn't manage to wet them often enough, I know this passes for a few days and I wasn't worried. I fed her and went to work. My sis said that during her noon/afternoon feeds she seemed perked-up. When I came back home her head was tilted on one side, although only visible when she is relaxing and it's very slightly. She looked sorry for herself. I gave her more metacam(i hope it's ok..) and she is in a better mood, she moves, nibbles and drinks water ok. Tomorrow we'll see the vet but i'm really reluctant to bring her there because of all the stress-I hope I can just get medication but well...I'll call and we'll see. What are the possible outcomes? Is it just an early stage and will things get much worse ?

I don't know about head tilt being caused by dental problems, but one possibility is EC brought on by the stress of the dental. I think the vet would need to examine her really since it's a new symptom. Hope Chrissy will be OK xx

I think it's really stress caused. the weird thing is that today her head is not tilted anymore. We monitored her the whole day but there was nothing, whereas yesterday you could clearly see a slight tilt. It's really bizarre, I think I'll need some more metacam and antibiotics, so we'll see the vet anyway. Could it be caused by the GA, could she tilt her head because she was wobbly&sorry for herself?

Back