• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your Bunny have a story??

moi

Mama Doe
Tonics previous owner turned up at the rescue centre, said they were moving and if they didn't take the Bunnies they were gonna leave them behind anyhow, and Peggy was found as a stray so we don't know if she escaped an owner or if she was just let go x

This is what we took Leo from. 5 years in that.. He belonged to my bfs neighbours. He had mites and the hay he had was weeks old, I'm surprised his teeth aren't that bad! He had a stroke not too long after we had him which caused his head to tilt but he recovered fully :love:

We've had him 2 years now, he still has weak leg muscles and can't periscope without leaning on something, but in the recent weeks he's been lying down flat, legs stretched out and head on the floor :love: I'll put a picture on once its uploaded, he's a special little man :love: 7 years old now :)

This is when we first met him and after we cleaned him out, I didn't stop to take a picture of what it was like before.. It was vile! :(

PICT0003-3-1_zpsb3c8287c.jpg

Edit: here he is actually relaxing :love: in his own bedroom :) I've been waiting 2 years for him to do that, I got teary when I saw him :oops:

null_zps717e88c0.jpg

And munching on his new favourite thing, hawthorn!

null_zps8c82f51c.jpg

They nicknamed him killer bunny because he was viscous.. No way! Soppy fuss monster more like :love:

Last edited:
:cry:... Thats a heartbreaking image above, bless... You are an angel to have taken Leo on....... he so deserves a happy life after that!! xxxx

Hollie, my latest bun was at the SPCA for 10months, she came there preggers with a male. :(

Herbie's story is like Tonics although they did leave him behind in the garden and he ended up like this. I got him from BARC after seeing this picture on here.

Inca, my angel bun was taken out of a house by the RSPCA as she was like this. I got her from Bunnyhops.

Kermit, my angel bun & 1st bun was a pets at home bunny, but he ended up with EC and associated head tilt, which brought me to the forum.

:cry:... awwww..... these pics are shocking.... What happy lives they've had with you though

This is what we took Leo from. 5 years in that.. He belonged to my bfs neighbours. He had mites and the hay he had was weeks old, I'm surprised his teeth aren't that bad! He had a stroke not too long after we had him which caused his head to tilt but he recovered fully :love:

We've had him 2 years now, he still has weak leg muscles and can't periscope without leaning on something, but in the recent weeks he's been lying down flat, legs stretched out and head on the floor :love: I'll put a picture on once its uploaded, he's a special little man :love: 7 years old now :)

This is when we first met him and after we cleaned him out, I didn't stop to take a picture of what it was like before.. It was vile! :(

PICT0003-3-1_zpsb3c8287c.jpg

Edit: here he is actually relaxing :love: in his own bedroom :) I've been waiting 2 years for him to do that, I got teary when I saw him :oops:

null_zps717e88c0.jpg

And munching on his new favourite thing, hawthorn!

null_zps8c82f51c.jpg

They nicknamed him killer bunny because he was viscous.. No way! Soppy fuss monster more like :love:

God that cage (even though you had cleaned it) looked awful. POOR Leo. He is adorable. So great to see him in that lovely clean, spacious room :love:

Rupert and sapphire don't have a story other than they came from the most wonderful, funny lady who adores all her buns and is always there to provide support and answer my questions.

Conrad and clover came from a friend who had to leave her home, they are both rescues but vicki didn't want them to have to go back to one. They live messily in my living room now.

Karl... Karl... Karl I took from some people who had him living in an animal carrier. No hay, just sawdust, museli and a dirty water bottle. He was born there and was about 7 months old when I went to get him. He was so underweight and I just wanted to cry the whole way home with him.
The woman said they had never handled him so he would probably be very nervous/not friendly. Well, if they had given him half a chance they would have found he is the friendliest, most wonderful boy you could ever meet. He's a great house bunny with perfect litter training. I was going to pass him to a rescue for rehousing but hubby and I couldn't part with him in the end.

And Beatrice, my newest addition is Karl's wife. She was dumped at an RSPCA at the beginning of the year and as an agouti was overlooked. What was most important to me when finding Karl a wife though was to have a similar temperament and she certainly is a friendly bun too! They are like peas in a pod and I am so glad to have been able to give them a forever home.

Whoops.. I do go on a bit...

Peter was found on the side of the road with two other buns, one had already been killed :(, ythere was an empty cardboard box down the road so it was assumed they were dumped in that, he was completely urine stained and his ears were (and still are) torn.

A kind lady picked them up and put them in her stable for the night before finding the rescue from where I rescued him. Peter is such a good natured, trusting bun despite what he has been through, and he is such a good boy :love:

Fiver was my first house bun. He was from a pet shop :oops: I got him at 9 weeks on impulse. :roll: All the wrong things! :lol: He has taught me SO much. :love: He is my soul bunny and is just the most amazing little man ever. He is the boss and tells me off when I do something wrong or don't do something quickly enough.

My bridge bun, Ellie was found in somebodies garden. She was very overweight but nobody claimed her and she ended up in rescue. I got her and she was very fearful of people and was a BIG girl! Unfortunately she turned out to need dentals every 6 weeks and probably had something underlying going on. After about 2 years of living with me and Fiver, she went for a dental and never woke up. :cry: :cry: :cry: I miss her incredibly but I am so happy that we met, and although it took a year for her to accept me, we were very good friends and she became a total cuddle bun. :love: :love:

Ellie, enjoying some free range time in the garden. :love:

I then adopted Xena from somebody who was fostering her. She was found dumped on a tip in Saltburn with 2 other buns and 15 guinea pigs. :cry: She was skin and bone, had horrific muscle wastage, was covered in scabs from mites and had conjunctivitis. Her foster Mum paid for her vet treatment and gave her a proper diet and a loving home. When she was spayed it was discovered that she was actually pregnant. :cry: Her kits were aborted during the spay (they would not have survived because they had already opened her up) and she shocked everybody by pulling through with no problems!
When she came to me she could barely hop, she walked close to floor and was clearly very fearful of her surroundings. I could feel every bone in her body, and she had put on weight in her foster home, so I can't imagine how thin she was when she was found. :cry: She lunged at me frequently and ran away whenever I walked into the room. Her eyes were never "right" and it was discovered that she had cataracts in both eyes and corneal erosion (probably from the awful conjunctivitis) in one of her eyes causing her to constantly squint it. Her vision isn't good (I also think she is blind her "bad" eye) so she tends to be wary of new places.
Now she is a loving carefree bunny. She is very greedy (who can blame her!) and she loves her nose and ear rubs from me. :love: She was terrified of he garden at first but she binkies and runs about like a mad thing! :lol:

Fiver on the left and Xena happy flopping on the right. :lol: Never had such a happy floppy bunny!

Dandy and Beano who I've had for just over a month came from Macclesfield RSPCA. They'd been found dumped in a box as babies along with the rest of the litter at a motorway services last August. They'd been overlooked probably because Dandy is agouti, and Beano is agouti and white and they are (or were) quite wild! They've calmed down loads, I've not made any attempt at picking them up but I can now give them nose rubs whilst feeding them, and they don't run off as soon as you walk past. I don't think they'll ever be cuddle buns but I'm just so happy to watch them being happy rabbits their amazing binkies!

Will just share the stories of my current buns not my bridge buns as that would take too long!
Aubrey was a founding. Some Russian people found him cruising along the pavement on a very busy road.
They took him in & fed him grass clippings, cabbage & carrot. They advertised him as a lost pet & were going to send him to the SPCA if no owner came forward.
I offered to take him the day he was to go to the SPCA. He is a Nethie but thinks he is a Flemish Giant like his wife.
Ondine was my failed foster because Aubrey needed a wife.
She came as a foster to me for diet & exercise. She had a dew lap on her dew lap.
I knew she would make the perfect big bossy wife for naughty little Aubrey so bonded them despite people telling me not too!
I did know my buns though & they are the happiest bunny couple. :love:

My friend (I think she is a breeder) rang me to say did I want a Rex with a 'dodgy leg' or she was going to be PTS. She also gave me a black N. Dwarf to keep her company. Luckily they are very close as I did not know anything about bonding! In the space of an hour I had to find somewhere for them to live, eat etc but it was well worth it. I called them Bessie and Anna and that was six years ago. Would put pictures up but basically am useless with anything technical!

Frosty and Snowflake were teeny little babies in the pet shop that I went in to for dog food... I simply couldnt resist. Went away and thought about it for three days. They are still wonderful but... so expensive to neuter (were mis sexed and fell out). I then saw a beautiful rescue m/f pair on preloved. Arranged to pick them up but my friend (who was to drive me there) became ill. The rescue were great, reserving them for me until I could collect them. They felt like 'my' rabbits as soon as I saw them online. They had been in rescue for months. By then I had found this site and ... rabbits in need. Fell very much in love with Tessie and Daisy who had been in rescue for ages because pairs are harder to home. They are so so so beautiful. I am soon to be proud mum to three rescue guinea pigs and ... another rabbit from a local rescue (who home checked me for Tessie and Daisy)!!! The guinea pigs have been in rescue since 2010 and I have looked at them before and thought how gorgeous they are... oooooo. I love animals! Oh, not forgetting Harvest the hamster who was from Furry friends animal rescue and come to me via a 'hamster run'. Our two dogs are rescues as well... Great thread. I love reading all the stories.

Miles, Miffy, China, Rocket, Benny and Domino are my former buns. Miffy and China are still alive, the others have gone to the Bridge.

Miles & Miffy
Miles was my first bunny. Pet store purchase at 10 weeks before I knew any better. I did loads of research and realised there were bunnies in rescues needing homes, so when I got Miffy it was from a rescue - Mayhew Animal Home. She wasn't the bunny we'd gone to see, but she hopped up to investigate us then pretended she was more interested in nibbling a bit of grass! :lol: We liked her personality so she came home with us. Apparently she'd been found in a garden with the rest of her litter (and mum), no shelter and they'd only managed to dig a little scrape for shelter. :(
Miles died aged 7 after an infected jaw that he'd managed to keep completely hidden until it was far too late to treat. He was PTS peacefully and Miffy was there with him.
Miffy is still around, bonded with China and now living with friends of my ex-husband after he moved back to the UK.

Miles at 10 weeks

Miles1131104.jpg

Miles at 3 years

DSC00076.jpg

Miles at 6 years

DSCN0024.jpg

Miffy at 4 months

miffy1120105.jpg

Miffy at 3 years

DSC00082.jpg

Miffy at 6 years

DSCN0083.jpg

China & Rocket
China was dumped as a baby along with her two sisters outside the pet store nearest me (they don't sell animals) and the lady who worked there gave me a call for advice. I said I'd take her to a shelter but in the course of fostering her we fell in love! We then adopted Rocket from ARC after China was bonded with him there. Rocket was an unwanted child's pet and he'd been at ARC for a while, in part I think due to his nippy nature and general attitude! :lol: It turned out that he was partially sighted so got very defensive as a result. Once we understood that, he became much nicer and we adapted to his needs.
Rocket died aged 9.5 after old age (no illness determined or obvious). He just slowed down suddenly, we took him to the vets and they PTS due to not finding anything wrong with him and the only alternative was a bunch of invasive, stressful tests that we felt would be far too much for him.

China at 6 weeks

china1080705.jpg

Rocket at 3.5 years

rocket2050705.jpg

China & Rocket at 1 and 4.5 years respectively

P1010016.jpg

Benny & Domino
Benny was found running around a housing estate near Reading. A lady housed him temporarily and put an ad on Freeads to try to find him a home (she had 2 young kids and worked full time so she felt she couldn't keep him). We responded and picked him up, intending to foster him, but we fell in love and kept him.
Domino was adopted in response to posts on here about a litter of kits in the North - I fell in love and adopted Domino, then had her transported across the country to me (thanks, RU! :wave:).
Benny passed away after aspirating food. We took him to the vets but his heart never recovered. The vets think he was much older than we had previously thought. :(
Domino passed away peacefully at the age of 7 years.

Benny when we first got him
DSC00198.jpg

Domino when she first arrived (about 12 weeks)
DSC00013.jpg

Domino at 6 years

DSCN0088.jpg

Ailise
Ailise came into the Oakland Animal Shelter in December 2012. I had just started there as a volunteer. Ailise really stood out for me - every time I entered the room, she was the only bunny who would hop up to the front of her cage, EVERY TIME, wanting attention and a fuss. :love: I decided to adopt her and I've never regretted it! Apparently she was dumped outside the shelter overnight in a dog crate. When she was spayed, the vets said she'd been used for breeding, probably repeatedly, and she was on the cusp of 1 year old.

Ailise

600512_10151450920130240_1145819466_n.jpg

579692_10151445077655240_610402420_n.jpg

AMETHYST

Last edited:
Sebastian

I had it in my head that I wanted an African Pygmy Hedgehog, I was researching them, saving up for the cost and buying things here and there for one. One night on the way home from youth group my mum said to me "we (my parents) would rather you got a cheaper animal like a rabbit or guineapig, why don't we go and have a look in P@H?" and we just happened to be driving past pets@home :lol: so we went in and had a look, I decided I didn't like piggies but there was a little nethie in the adoption section called Brad. He was 4 months old and hadn't sold because he is agouti :( my parents must have been plotting this because after a cuddle with him I said I liked him but the shop wouldn't let me reserve him so I called my Dad who surprisingly said yes :shock: he NEVER says yes to anything straight away :lol: So I came home with a rabbit, and a cage, I actually asked "is there anything smaller?" it was only 3ft long :shock: after I got him home I stumbled across RU and realised he needed a friend, I'd already vaccinated him and he was booked in to the vets to be neutered before joining here but I had no idea about friends.

Mae - bridge bunny
Mae came from RNGPWelfare. Her back story was that she belonged to a little boy, she was called Cricket and was leaving with a guinea pig. I can't remember why they handed her in, but I'm sure Tracey said that the family had told her they would be back for some pigs one day, I'm sure you can imagine how that went down :lol: Mae was lactating when she arrived, although why she was is a mystery as she wasn't pregnant, she also needed her front teeth removing. She was my gummy bunny :love: She was a right nutter, such an attitude :lol: but she was perfect in every way :love: unfortunatly she passed away one night and I don't know why, but her ashes are in my bedroom on a table :love:

Imogen
When Mae passed away Sebastian was very depressed so I moved pretty quickly. When I first asked about Imogen I was told she was reserved so I went to reserve a different rabbit, the rabbit I had picked was a boy and the rescue wouldn't let me have a male pair, when they found out what my set up was (at the time it was just a 5ft double hutch and an 8ft run) they decided I could have her over this other family :? SusieB1 also tried to reserve her after going to a rescue open day but she was mine by then :lol:;) I won't ever go back to the rescue because of various issues some personal and some to do with the animals, one big one being that their "bonding" method consisted of putting the rabbits in a chicken coop/run setup and leaving them too it, they also emptied a WHOLE plastic cereal tub full of Sebastians food and were feeding him something else without asking me. When I went to collect them I had to catch them myself and I was given an adoption form, they had neglected to tell me you needed to be 18 to adopt an animal (I was 17) so I made myself a year older and left :oops: there was no-one around to ask, I was just left too it. For all they knew I could have taken half the animals in there as I wasn't supervised :shock: They also didn't tell me that Imogen was very scared, she's difficult to handle and does much better as a house rabbit, she's also partially sighted. All of the negatives don't matter but Imogen and Sebastian are smitten with each other, and she's such a wonderful rabbit to own :love:

Temperance came from here

DSC00140Medium.jpg

It doesn't look as bad as it was, thats because the SSPCA had been out that day. The clean shavings were the first clean shavings that had been added in at least 2 years and the huge pile on the floor had been removed from the hutch that day as well (its hard to tell from the picture, but it was at least 6" deep and a good few feet across). She was fed once every few weeks, or whenever they remembered, same with water. She was forgotton about. The shed was always cold, probably what saved her from getting fly strike! The light bits of wood above the mesh front on the hutch are from rats trying to chew their way in. I had to climb into the hutch to get her out, she tried to dig a hole into the sleeping area at the end of the hutch- the dirty bedding was so deep so couldn't fit through the hole.

Sadly she wasn't the only animal being neglected, there were horses as well and dogs that were kept in stables and hadn't been cleaned out for weeks. On first look it appeared that there was cotton wool over the floor, but it was mouldy faeces. The smell was absolutely horrendous. The SSPCA were informed, however they decided that rather than just turn up, they would call up, explain the full extent of the complaint that had been made and arrange a time and date to come out and investigate. Of course, everything was peachy by the time the visit came. Unfortunately, we were unable to make a difference to those other animals, but I like to think we made a difference to this one!

She was a bit overweight, had slight urine scald, overgrown toe nails and slight spurs on some teeth. Not bad considering!

I actually joined this forum to find her a home, but in the end she stayed. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?300802-Hello-from-me-and-my-temporary-house-guest

She has since shed her excess pounds, grown a lovely mane and earlier this year we took her speed dating to Buddies Bunnies where she met MJ and it was love at first sight :love:

563230_10152559202375065_1606549583_n.jpg

45294_10152575094730065_1325120738_n.jpg

George didnt have a story as such, he came from P@H (yes i know boo hiss and all that) and i fell in love with him because he was the last one in the store, randomly as well we found out the guy in P@H serving us had been friends with my brother at school but they'd lost touch so through buying George it put them in contact again :lol:

Cupcake was a bit of an unexpected buy, After George died for weeks i said i wouldnt get another one but the day after New Years Day this year we went to a place near us that specialises in fish but they sell reptiles, birds and small animals as well (not a chain pet store), we'd gone there as dad wanted some new fish but i liked to go there and awww over the rabbits and guinea pigs and i saw cupcake there and just fell in love with her and it just felt right to buy her :love: although what makes me :lol: is the fact we went to buy fish and came home with no fish but a rabbit and a guinea pig (they were in the same pen as the rabbits and the one we picked had been cuddling up with cupcake and yes i know you shouldnt keep them together but they've lived in the same hutch for 5 months and love to snuggle up together :love:)

Last edited:
Back