• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would u think/say?

k well then first and most important thing is she needs to be totally separate from any other bunnies, they will kill/injure any babies. her nest looks a bit open tho is she outdoors? if uve got a quiet, warm room to spare i wud bring her and her hutch indoors. inside the room or in the hutch u wanna make her a nest box, then move the start of her nest into it. u need to act quickly cos pulling fur is usually the last thing they do before giving birth, she cud be just hours away. i didnt kno my Maisy was pregnant untill she gave birth, but thankfully id already made her a hidey box anyway from two washing up bowls like this

cut the section out with a pair of strong scissors or tin snips, and make a hole in the middle of the bit that sticks out (where the handles wud be if u used it as a washing up bowl) on all 3 sides. then get a bent nail or piece of wire nd push thru the holes on each bowl to fix the two bowls together. the books on top are just to weigh it down cos Maisy kept pushing the box about before she had the babies.

try not to stress her too much, especially if u take her indoors try to keep as much of the rest of her territory the same by taking her hutch in with her, and dont change the bedding for a few days to keep her scent. having said that Maisy went thru an adoption to new humans, new house nd a dog as well, and all the while she was pregnant nd we didnt kno!!! she was a fantastic mum tho, gave birth to six nd only rejected one which was impressive considering she wasnt very big herself back then.

sorry for long post theres just loads i wanna tell u, hav a read thru of this thread itll help u a lot if she does give birth.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies
and if not there is also lots of information on neutering on the forum too, as well as stopping the risk of real pregnancy this would likely reduce risk of more phantom pregnancies as this behaviour is usually hormone related.

feel free to PM me if u need any help my babies were born on the 13th of feb so not long ago, and i was horrifically unprepared lol!!! this forum has been a lifesaver tho so at least ur in the right place :D
liv xx

Bless her... tbh my females all started nesting from 5/6months old and the older rescues did it continuously until being spayed, so fingers crossed this will just be a phantom :)

tbh starting to think its a phantom, i couldnt see any diff in her tummy and today i ruffled the nest a bit made it a lil flatter but she wasnt botheres, its still the same as far as i know:p

sounds like it probably is if ther r no babies yet, the pregnancy lasts for about a month and the nest is usually one of the last things they do before giving birth. with my Maisy i had no idea until the babies arrived, she must hav built the nest in the night wen she went into labour.
tbh sounds like uve dodged a bullet, baby rabbits are very cute but they are sooooooooo much work its unreal!!! u hav to consider u cant rehome the babies untill 8 weeks, and theyll be big and running about everywhere by then.
i tell u from bitter experience it is not as easy as u think finding good homes for baby rabbits. most people that get a baby bunny will play with it while its small then as soon as it matures and needs neutering will stick it in a hutch at the end of the garden because it bit someone, and treat it like a fish in a bowl. and thats if they keep it, there are tens of thousands of unwanted rabbits just in the uk. so sorting out the good people from all the losers is very very hard work.
so, while ur looking for these suitable homes the babies will be getting bigger. males and females will need to be kept separate as soon as the boys start humping (around 6-8 weeks) so this will mean needing two hutches, two runs (or alternating the two sets of rabbits in the one exercise space) PLUS double the time spent cleaning, feeding and interacting with all the bunnies. not long after separating males nd females the boy babies will need to be separated again so each one is alone until up to 8 weeks AFTER it gets neutered, either by u or by an adoptive owner.
Maisy had a litter of six, one she rejected. of the five left only one was a girl, and ive ended up left with two boys im keeping. so just imagine the work, the boys still need to be separated for another month, and they are almost four months old already.
i dont wanna preach to u about the problems of breeding rabbits, i just hope u think carefully before you decide if u want to breed. my advice would be to only let ur girl bun back with the male well after he is neutered, and to have the girl spayed as well.

oh and forgot to say, good luck and feel free to PM me if u need any more advice xxxx

When my matilda had Grayson I even new she was pregnant, she built a nest overnight and when I woke up there it was....

Back