• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about bald patches

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Woody is currently going through a SERIOUS moult. I have never seen anything like it - he is moulting far more than my retriever ever seemed to!!

I am brushing him about three times daily. I am also taking away loose clumps of hair which are just on the verge of falling out - I am trying to prevent him inhaling it as much as I can - because it is so extreme.

Yesterday I removed some hair from his head which was completely loose - I went out to him this morning and he has developed a couple of bald patches on his head. It looks pretty severe because those two patches are totally bald.

Is this normal during a moult?

F334E009-4853-4F02-B7BF-B88AE7AA7487-5757-000009EF2962C4DE_zps85a2371a.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
No that is not normal for a moult, as far as I know. Is it possible that he managed to catch it somewhere and rip it out accidentally? If not is there any dried or flakey skin and that might mean mites?

Otherwise I would be phoning my vet for advice, although it is clearly not an emergency!

Hope his fur grows back soon!

No that is not normal for a moult, as far as I know. Is it possible that he managed to catch it somewhere and rip it out accidentally? If not is there any dried or flakey skin and that might mean mites?

Otherwise I would be phoning my vet for advice, although it is clearly not an emergency!

Hope his fur grows back soon!

I cannot see any sign of mites and there isn't any dry skin.

This area is where yesterday I pulled away some loose fur - it easily came away. But it has obviously got worse.

I had the same problem with Sonic last year. I looked for mites and sore patches everyday, but eventually it grew back as normal. I'd keep an eye on it though :) ( other people probably know more than me, but it's very similar to last year for Sonic)

One of the buns at the rescue I volunteered for had this exact same thing. After a few days they started getting red and sore where he was itching himself. Pop him to the vets and get some ivermec (I think you need 2 doses for it to be effective) and he should be fine in a few weeks. :thumb:

I had the same problem with Sonic last year. I looked for mites and sore patches everyday, but eventually it grew back as normal. I'd keep an eye on it though :) ( other people probably know more than me, but it's very similar to last year for Sonic)

I do believe it is only to do with his moult - but obviously I can't be sure?

One of the buns at the rescue I volunteered for had this exact same thing. After a few days they started getting red and sore where he was itching himself. Pop him to the vets and get some ivermec (I think you need 2 doses for it to be effective) and he should be fine in a few weeks. :thumb:

What is Ivermec? Is that to treat mites? If it doesn't get sore should it just grow back?

I do believe it is only to do with his moult - but obviously I can't be sure?

What is Ivermec? Is that to treat mites? If it doesn't get sore should it just grow back?

I thought it was just his moult at first but it got worse and worse. He had a bald patch that covered most of his back by the time he went. I had to insist to the rescue owners to take him to the vets immediately. The vet said it was a reaction to mites (you can't see mites, they are microscopic) so I would strongly recommend that you take him. Ivermec is an all round parasite killer. It will kill most things that are on him and it is very effective. :) I find it much better than any kind of spot on. This is just my opinion but most vets I have gone to treat with ivermec.

It took a few months for his fur to grow back 100% and the vet even said it may never come back properly! Fortunately you can't tell that he had such bad fur loss.

It is extreme for a moult, but on the other hand the skin looks fine. They can get almost bald patches but it's usually got a sort of velvet feel as the new fur is just pushing through.

If he's not itching/scratching I'd watch it closely for a couple of days and see if the fur appears - if it changes at all then vets.

Thank you - I think a vet visit probably sounds like a good suggestion then.

Can they test for mites or do they just give the meds as preventative?

Thank you - I think a vet visit probably sounds like a good suggestion then.

Can they test for mites or do they just give the meds as preventative?

They can do a scrape but it's easier to just treat. That's why Ivermec is usually used, it's a general insecticide and so you don't need to do a test and therefore can treat immediately. :) You could wait and see if it gets better on it's own...but I would rather be safe than sorry after seeing poor Badger. (Only my opinion!)

one of my bunnies is doing exactly the same and it just moulting. maybe a little heavier than usual but thats probably due to the fact that we've just had a winter that lasted 6 months. i wouldnt go putting toxins on your rabbit unless you are absolutely certain that mites are present.

I forgot to mention something else. I took Wood to the vet last week because of this ring that had appeared around his eyes ...

A84CDB64-BA1E-4134-A34D-78DA75966797-1995-0000036606D0356B_zps144e6002.jpg
[/IMG]

The vet believed it was linked to his moult - do you think it could be linked to these bald patches and possible mites?!

Has he still got the bald circle around his eye? That doesn't look right for moult - looks like he's missing eyelashes too!

Is it just the photo or is there tiny little white flakes around the effected area? Fur mites are not as itchy as some other mites so often the skin isn't red from scratching it just looks slightly dandruffy.

I have just returned from the vet. She said that she believes it to be his unusual moult - she thoroughly checked him over and did a light-scan to check for fungal infections.

She did not suspect mites. She gave me a sunscreen for the bald patches and said that the hair is already starting to regrow!

Got him home and noticed that one of his nails had fallen off on the journey home :shock: Poor boy has so much going on.

Back