• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you spend per week..

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
..on your bunny's veg? I've just been to morrisons and spent £9.29 and got some living mint, sliced spring greens, bunched parsley, bunched coriander, 2 bunches of thyme, some celery, a bag of mixed rocket watercress and spinach, a carrot, a red pepper, and a small floret of broccoli. Does that seem expensive to you?

Also, can burnies have taragon?

that seems quite a lot to me! i usually pick up a few reduced things a couple of times a week, so spend a max of about £2. i also grow my own herbs and have just started foraging :thumb:

I don't, I'm a big meanie :oops: they get 'human' veg only as leftovers, like peelings and broccoli stalk. If we have fruit I do normally share but they only get a tiny bit. They LOVE strawberry tops :love:

We spend £20-25 per week for 4 bunnies.

My O/H insists they have the best and they don't get things past a best before... I'd happily eat best before items that are out of date myself... :lol:

I don't mind though, they make us happy :love:

im the same as the first poster. i get reduced items, i grow my own herbs (or should i say they grow themselves without planting as got a large garden and we keep it very natural for wildlife, saw a birds nest at eye level today and a hedgehog yesterday!). I also grab the loose broccoli of broken pieces in the corners of the display box from the shops for free (i ask the vendor if i can take them as they cant sell them). also get the cauliflower leaves they cut at the shops when they trim the cauliflower for displaying purposes. then i do a lot of foraging as i have wild garden with many of bunny edible plants already growing when i learned about it on http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?303114-Plant-Images and http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?341898-It-s-Forage-Friday!&highlight=forage+friday

I think I spoil her abit much lol but I like her to have a variety, if I had more than 1 bun I think id cut down somewhere, morrisons isn't the cheapest place but its the closest. She does eat stuff past the best before though, as long as it doesn't look horrible

I dont think the veg really costs me that much extra tbh. I've got loads of plants/bushes/herbs growing that Poppy can eat and she eats the same fruit/veg that we eat ourselves. My sister sells homemade jams, pickles and marinades at a farmers market and sends me all her peelings for the animals too:love::love: My biggest expense is greens/cabbages etc in winter for the chooks, I tend to get my sister to get them from the wholesalers otherwise its expensive.

I don't, I'm a big meanie :oops: they get 'human' veg only as leftovers, like peelings and broccoli stalk. If we have fruit I do normally share but they only get a tiny bit. They LOVE strawberry tops :love:

Same:p only they don't get fruit, just fruit branches and leaves :)

i wont give my lads anything that i wouldn't eat my self! YUK!
they get green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots.

My mate has just got a garden, so i'm going to plant some herbs in there for them

They're rabbits, they ain't fussy. They can have peelings and past best before, it's not going to hurt them :?

I spend maybe £2-£3, I stick to kale or spring greens (£1.20 a bag now!) and a bunch of herbs, plus a couple of reduced items if they have them. You would never catch me spending a tenner on veg solely for the bunnies :lol: Some weeks they don't get anything, if I haven't been able to get to the shop or their hay intake isn't quite as much as I'd like.

ETA: I haven't given them veg for about a month actually, I've been working my way through the dandelions in my mam's garden.

Am I being tight?. I dont give my bunnies veg..... it gives them runny poos... I give them fresh bramble leaves and stalk daily...cost nothing..

Am I being tight?. I dont give my bunnies veg..... it gives them runny poos... I give them fresh bramble leaves and stalk daily...cost nothing..

Not at all, mine have had a bit of cauliflower and carrot shavings recently, but only because I needed to get metacam inside Donny :lol: That will probably it for this year tbh :lol: They've recently tried hawthorn and raspberry leaves, they love them! :D

nothing really. We grow some herbs/veg for them, and also have a large bramble bush nearby they get clippings from. They have time on grass every day and they get any suitable left overs. They might also get the odd treat if stuff is reduced when we go shopping (like the other day there were packs of mint for 5p so they got a few of those).

I forage and grow stuff and occasionally buy in things I can't find ie. apple twigs, hawthorn, willow. S not a lot.

Ad yes they can eat tarragon. :)

Mine pretty much only get leftovers, but we have a hotel so there's a lot of it. I occasionally buy veggies if they are drastically reduced, I got 4 broccoli's for £1.59 in Tesco yesterday, 12 tomatoes for 60p, and 30 carrots for £1.

We have our own apple and pear trees, so they get the branches, leaves and fruit from them.

Are herbs easy to grow? They're the most expensive thing so maybe it'd be cheaper to grow

If you find the right ones for the spaces you've got then they basically take care of themselves.
We've found parsley, marjoram and oregano grow very well in one part of our garden. Lemonbalm and mint will grow basically anywhere.

I have several mint plants, six at last count :oops: and lemonbalm, they sort themselves out I just cut the foliage back in autumn and divide them every few years. I also have oregano x2 and marjoram which do well but not as well as the mint. I bought a small fennel plant this year which I'm anticipating will regrow each year. I would suggest getting plants from garden centres to start with. We have one nearby (next to where I buy my hay) which does offers in march/april time, buy five or so plants and it works out about 70p-£1 each. So i buy them there. I've tried from seed but they never seem to germinate that well so I figure it's better me buying a plant each year. Rocket does well from seed though, and fenugreek.

I also grow some flowers from seed; nasturtiums, sunflowers and calendula do well. I'm trying cornflower this year too. I also bought a load of violas for a fiver from Homebase and they're doing really well. Nearly every day I pick some and they like those. Plus rose petals from the garden when the roses start going over. I'm the deadheader and those go to the bunnies ;)

I guess I spend about ten pound a year on plants and seeds but that plus foraged foods does about six or seven months worth of the year. When I get a lot of something (bramble leaves usually!) I dry them for winter. I don't worry too much if they don't get greens over winter.

Back