• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Younger rabbits?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
What do I need to know? I have the chance of taking on a young neutered male from a local rabbit rescue as a companion for our neutered girl, Dash, who is approx. 3. The exact age of the male is unknown, but he is thought to be 6-12 months old. I have never taken on a young rabbit before, they have all been well into adulthood when I have got them. Is there anything special I need to consider? I know this might sound stupid, but is a rabbit of that age fully grown size wise, but just still needs to mature and fill out? Is it likely to be able to escape from anywhere and everywhere like a baby? Will he be on a fully adult diet by then?

Also, does a rabbit of this age give a better chance of bonding than an older male? Or does it just depend on the individual rabbit? As far as I know, Dash has never been with another rabbit, although she is within sight of mine and seems to like to be as near to them as she can get and seems calm.

Thankyou.

He's probably full size, but if they are estimating him under a year he probably has a bit of a juvenile look too him still. It's hard to describe but they tend to look less chunky (like they still have a little filling out to do) and sometimes the fur looks a little softer. Once bunnies are 12-18 months plus it's much harder to guess the age. He'll most likely be on an adult diet as he's been neutered, but check with the rescue as you'll still need to swap gradually as he might not be on the same brand of food.

Depends on the bunnies personalities more than anything :)

Here is Donny when he was about 2 and a half/3 months old-

IMG00407-20110328-1601.jpg

And Donny 6 months old, both he and Lola 'filled out' quickly :)

PICT0070.jpg

And Donny now at 2 years old, the only difference between this pic and the 6 month pic is about 1.5kg of weight :lol:

null_zps6fa516a3.jpg

I'd never had a younger rabbit until I had Ludo.

The only thing I hadn't really expected, and I guess this sounds a bit silly, was just how much more energetic and full of beans a baby bunny is than an adult.

I thought he had some sort of neurological problem, he was bouncing around so much, binkying so high, jumping everywhere, I think I even posted on here because I was worried he wasn't normal!

You just forget when you have older rabbits what they're like when they're really young! Even their hops look more like springs! Ludo is 10 months old now and he's only just starting to be less of a spring and flop a bit more regularly, though he's still very energetic. (That's not to say he's not relaxed and very docile, he is, but he's just very very energetic with it.) He filled out I would say about 2 months ago, although he had got to full sized (length-wise) at about aged 5-6 months. He may have been late filling out because of his stasis-problems.

Back