• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

School Hutches too Small

fizabella

Alpha Buck
My school has a new farm. They've got rabbits in the farm but the hutches they have for the rabbits are ridiculously small and they get little to no free range time during the day. They're terrorised by the year 7s (they're in the year 7-8 playground) and they've even fed them chicken. I told the head of the farm that the hutches were small by RSPCA standards and he replied in a really uncaring tone "thanks for your concern but if we feel there are some changes that need to be made, we will make them." What should I do? Ill get a picture to show you guys later as my internet is down at the moment so I'm using a friends phone.

I would send them a bunch of RWA/RSPCA stuff. If they still don't do anything then I'd consider writing a letter about it to the local paper, if it was featured in there the school might make a change.

Well done for raising your concerns with the farm's head. It's a shame they didn't listen. I would bump up a level by writing to the schools head, putting your concerns in writing might make them take more notice as they are then on record. The other option would be to talk to the RSPCA, they probably won't treat it as an urgent case but they might be able to pop in at some point and offer some advice.

I would send them a bunch of RWA/RSPCA stuff. If they still don't do anything then I'd consider writing a letter about it to the local paper, if it was featured in there the school might make a change.

this. your school are setting an example to children, and they should be ashamed that they are not only keeping them in unsuitable conditions, but also ignoring your concerns

If speaking to the head and getting the RSPCA to contact them doesn't work, I'd definitely contact a local paper. It's a shocking example that they're setting!

Well done for bringing it up, I wouldn't have been able to keep quiet either! Local paper and petitions I'd say! I started a couple of petitions when I was at school, and there is nothing teachers can do about it as it is a perfectly legal and responsible way of voicing an opinion. ;)

If kids are taught bad pet care at school they're more likely to grow up and teach their kids the same things. I've got two brownie packs and I brought in pics of my bunnies and their accommodation and toys so they could all see how bunnies should be treated. Quite a few girls had rabbits that weren't treated right, and by the next week they'd been bought toys and given extra cuddles because the girls had been pestering their parents so much. Little things like that can make the difference.

Schools/work/organisations often need pressure from outside sources to make any changes. They do not want bad publicity! If you make enough noise (whilst not getting yourself in any trouble of course, all above board) then hopefully you'll make a difference. :)

I would suggest this too after a letter to the schools Head teacher. Good luck

Back