• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits and moulting

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
Hi Guys,
just a quick question. My two girls are litter mates, and one of them is nearing the end of her first, HUGE moult, that's lasted a good month or so, her fur has changed to more of a bluey black than black (she's a dutch) and her unbroken saddle is now all wriggly (if that makes sense), is this normal?

My other girl is yet to molt, when I brush her, no more fur than normal comes away (which is very little) and her coat is a little less shiny, I'm worried with the warming weather about her still having a thicker coat, on really hot days I wash her down (don't worry I'm not cruel, they actually LOVE their baths, showers and watery playtimes :roll:) but I'm not there all day to keep her cool, even with frozen bottles, is there anything I can do? Or will it just happen at some point? :?

They're off to see the vet on saturday for worming, so should I mention it to her, or am I just being a bit paranoid? :lol:

i find post-bath my buns will shed much less hair for the next couple of days, so perhaps if ur washing her all the time she could be shedding all her fur then perhaps.
as for change in pattern thats very common while theyre still young, how old are your buns? one of my boys, Dusty, has only just in the last week come out with a grey/black splodge on his back he never had before, as they are nearly 4 months i understand this is pretty normal and markings continue to develop for the first 6 months or so. kind of like how dalmatians are born without any spots but get more spotted as they grow older :love:

i find post-bath my buns will shed much less hair for the next couple of days, so perhaps if ur washing her all the time she could be shedding all her fur then perhaps.
as for change in pattern thats very common while theyre still young, how old are your buns? one of my boys, Dusty, has only just in the last week come out with a grey/black splodge on his back he never had before, as they are nearly 4 months i understand this is pretty normal and markings continue to develop for the first 6 months or so. kind of like how dalmatians are born without any spots but get more spotted as they grow older :love:

They're almost a year old... I guess she could be losing it in the bath, but surely it would show up? :lol:

Dalmatians are born without spots :shock:

Back