• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

penicillin question

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering the longest a course of penicillin can be?

Victoria is on week 6/7 of an 8 week course of Penstrep.. She was doing so much better but on recent days has started sneezing badly again :( I don't know what else there is to try

Furby is on 0.3 ml injections once a day. Not sure how long he has been on them but I wouldn't want to stop now as his eye is still not right and he has head tilt. I will be taking him back to the vet this week for a review of his care.

i don't know the maximum time but our vet starts with three month courses for 'snuffles' so it would be longer than that. :wave:

Inca was off and on penicillin injections for over two years really. There was short periods when she was OK and the vet thought that she should have a rest, then she would get ill and be back on it again.

She was on 0.2ml Ceporex Injections.

Im giving my bun Harry daily Dufapen injections indefinately(3 weeks so far) for an ear/snuffles infection.They can obviously tolerate penicillin for quite long periods.

Thanks for the replies. Its good to know how long they can continue on it with out issues. I am just getting a little concerned as she now seems to be going backwards slightly while still on it. if this doesn't work I have no idea what options we have left :?

Sorry to hear that,it can be very frustrating.My vet said this can happen sometimes but to just continue with a view to extending the course if necessary as penicillin is often the best option.My bun also has good and not so good days.Really hope your bun makes good progress soon.Sorry not to be of much help.

Back