• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a puppy

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Haven't been able to come on much due to starting a new job (still on best behaviour!).

We have also just bought a puppy. he's 12 weeks old and fairly sensible at the moment(!). I'd like some advice or tips on how to introduce him to the buns. Their hutch is at the end of the garden so I sectioned it of with the collapsible run so buns and dog can see eachother from a distance of approx 6 meters. Pup has shown hardly any interest in the buns. One of my buns is fine but the other has just been staring and doesn't seem too happy. He did foot-stamp a lttle but has now stopped. He's eating fine but not going downstairs as much. They are both fine with mum's dogs when they go 'on holiday' and my old landlady's dogs when I lived there and they went nose to nose through the cage. I think it could be to do with pup being in THEIR garden. I have had puppy smells on me so they can get used to it and vice versa.

The bun in question doesn't like change much at all but comes round eventually. How is it best to go from here? I did think that maybe holding puppy closer, even at the cage or moving the run closer each day but thought i'd see what you guys think is best.

Thanks

Back