• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!- how to retrain the bunnies???

chlobunny

New Kit
Hello all :)

I have had my two little ones for a week and a half now and before I had them they were fully litter trained.
They were trained from babies and are now 11 weeks.

Since coming here they have been weeing and pooing all over the hutch/ and not really in the litter tray.

Any tips? I have been putting some poo/wee shavings back in the litter tray but so far isn't working? Do I just keep doing it until they get it?
Do I need to make sure I get all of the poo out constantly when they do it elsewhere?
They seem to be weeing in a few different corners which is annoying as I can only put the tray in one.

Thanks in advance.
Chloe

Do you have bedding in the rest of the hutch?
Because if you have they tend to think the whole hutch is a potty, maybe if you start off with two litter trays and put them in the corners they wee the most in, keep the soiled bedding and put it in the litter trays, it helped with mine if I completely cleaned the rest of the cage thoroughly so there was no trace of anything they might smell, they may have a few accidents but they will get there :) i hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply :) hmmm..I use sawdust to line the hutch and litter tray, guessing it's where I'm going wrong then?
what should I change? Do they need lining in the hutch? Seems they already associate sawdust with toilet now but not sure how else I could line hutch? X

I put litter trays of newspaper with lots of hay on each side of my bunnies cage and nothing else on the cage floor. When i saw which one he liked to go in the most, after a time, he now just has one. But mine are indoor bunnies so i dont know if you could leave the rest of the hutch bare xx

Thanks for the reply :) hmmm..I use sawdust to line the hutch and litter tray, guessing it's where I'm going wrong then?
what should I change? Do they need lining in the hutch? Seems they already associate sawdust with toilet now but not sure how else I could line hutch? X

Well i leave my hutch as it is with the wooden bottom my rabbit loves flopping out on it :D but if you wanted to line it quite a lot of people use Lino or adhesive tiles so that its easy to wipe and clean or you could use those interlocking foam tiles which are softer, and then put sawdust in the litter tray, it should sort the litter training out and then if they do have the odd accident it's easy to clean out :) x

Mine are outdoor bunnies in a large hutch and run. Originally they had a big cat litter tray in the run (which they used straightaway and a "corner tray" in the "upstairs" run area. They never used it and kept weeing in the corners of their sleeping area so I was changing their straw sometimes twice a day. As they never weed in the unenclosed upstairs I put the corner litter tray in the "bedroom" but still they didn't use it,just the other corners.Eventually after receiving some good advice on here I put a normal cat litter tray in the "bedroom" after first washing the weed in corners thoroughly with water and white vinegar to remove the smell. This has worked:DI also put some soiled litter in the tray so it smelt familiar. I do still put a handful of carefresh in the corners tho "just in case". I'm fortunate that my hutch was custom built by my carpenter OH so buns "bedroom" is big enough for a normal size cat litter tray. My buns are very fussy tho. I lined their trays with some brown packaging paper that came from an Amazon parcel but it was obviously too rough for them as they ripped it out both trays as if to say "where's our newspaper". So maybe use the same stuff in their litter tray too!

Back