• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on Strange Scab on Bunny's Back

d2007ave

Young Bun
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you could help me, I was stroking my bunny tonight and we noticed a strange scab like thing on his back. Its about the size of a 5p coin, with no hair on it,and a yellowy scab on it. We had not seen it till now as it is completely covered by surrounding hair, only noticed as we felt it. The scab is dry, with pinky skin around it, nothing wet and smelly.

Do you think it is a scab or something else?

Our bunny did have an injection of antibiotics and pain killers there, 2 weeks ago when he had a mild snuffle and was poorly. Could this big scab be because of the injection? Should we do anything with it,, or just let it run its course, hopefully i have attached a photograph,

Tommy rabbit seems normal now, very bouncy, but it was a tough 5 days when he was on the antibiotics, he was very down
Photo03-06-2013223917_zpsc8b7bc57.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a592/davidzaba/Photo03-06-2013223917_zpsc8b7bc57.jpg
http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/davidzaba/library

Thanks

David

Last edited:
It does look look like a scab from an injection, sometimes they can get a reaction. Scabs on bunnies always look a bit weird, sort of smooth and a bit sunken with dry edges. I would imagine another weekish and it will drop off leaving pink skin underneath. If you are at all worried or it starts looking pink/weeping then just get your vet to check it out. It would be worth mentioning it to your vet anyway so they can add a note to his notes in case there is the option to use something different next time.

I agree that it looks like a reaction to an ABX jab. I've seen it with penicillin and also Baytril injections before.

Yep Casserole had the same looking scab after the plumb fairy visit, started off small and grew to 10p size over 2 days, went back to the vet and got some steroid cream took another week or so but started no heal and the fur grew back, he had to wear a teddy bear factory shirt to stop Dumplin licking it tho, think the cream tasted nice too :shock:, Dumplin had one too but not so bad, used the cream on him too

Last edited:
Yup looks like the one Pooka had after a Baytril injection. Sent me into a wonderful panic since she had a mild form of myxi at the time (due to recent vaccination) and the last thing I needed was more scabs showing up.

Thank you to everyone

A big thank you to everyone for getting back to me last night about the scab. It was a shock to see it and to know a bit more about it helps. Hopefully bunny won't scratch it off and i'll let our vet know, good to know there are ways to alleviate the chance of this -- saline soloution.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, much appreciated, David:)

Back