• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Girl rabbits bullying

EllieJayne

New Kit
I have two rabbits: Peanut and Snoopy. They're sisters and have always been kept together. Peanut is considerably larger than Snoopy, to the point where myself, my friend and my vet have all checked several times to make sure she's not actually male (she's not).

I mentioned to my vet last time that I saw her that there's a little bullying going on (occasional humping, pushing about, etc - not always Peanut on Snoopy, Snoopy will often hump Peanut too) and she said it was perfectly normal but just to keep any eye on their weight as Peanut tends to eat a lot more than Snoopy.

To rectify this I tend to put Snoopy by herself for about 10-30 minutes a day to make sure she has time to eat some food before Peanut eats with her. Despite this, Snoopy is still much skinnier than Peanut. As I work full time I don't really have the time to feed them completely separately on a daily basis and only do this at weekends.

My vet said there wouldn't be much behavioural change in their relationship if I had them neutered as they don't fight and I only see them disagree every now and then. I am however a little concerned at how skinny Snoopy is. I've tried giving them food separately but Snoopy never finishes hers so there's never much point as she eats the same amount as if they shared the bowl.

Is there anything else I can do? Is this normal? Does she simply have a small appetite?

:shock: Cant beleive your vet hasn`t recommended spaying them. In my experience (kept buns for over 20 years) they are so much calmer once they have had the op. Their hormones are probably all over the place.

Hello :wave:

What breed are your bunnies and do you know how much they weigh?

Spaying your bunnies will make a huge different to their hormone levels and should make them both much calmer and less prone to humping. Also, its strongly recommended for females because if left unspayed they have a REALLY high chance (80% ish I think) of developing uterine cancer before they are 5. So yes just for this reason alone its very surprising that your vet has not advised you to spay them.

If you aren't happy with your current vet, you could try starting a new thread in Rabbit Chat asking for "Rabbit Savvy" vets in your area.

Back