• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long after weed killer has been put down can the rabbits go on the paths again?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
My grandmas put some weed killer down on the dandelions growing in the path, the rabbits stay in the run at the moment but I like to let them free range if its warm and I can sit outside so was just wondering when would it be safe to let them out again? A certain time period? After the next heavy rain fall?

It's just in a few cracks on the path but it was on dandelion leaves which they might try eat from there

There are so many variable factors - type of weedkiller, how much was put on, whether it will rain in next few days and how much etc etc etc - personally I would not risk it for a month - but others may say a week. Weedkiller technically does not 'harm' animals but it will cause problems with their guts that are so sensitive and if it always comes with huge warnings about washings hands after use etc etc.

Personally I would not put anything on the garden that poisons things but I see it was your grandmother that used it - maybe she finds weeding by hand difficult if she is elderly? If so why not offer to weed for her in future?

There are so many variable factors - type of weedkiller, how much was put on, whether it will rain in next few days and how much etc etc etc - personally I would not risk it for a month - but others may say a week. Weedkiller technically does not 'harm' animals but it will cause problems with their guts that are so sensitive and if it always comes with huge warnings about washings hands after use etc etc.

Personally I would not put anything on the garden that poisons things but I see it was your grandmother that used it - maybe she finds weeding by hand difficult if she is elderly? If so why not offer to weed for her in future?

I'll leave it for a month then unless we get very heavy rain, to be honest I've never seen the rabbits go for the dandelions along this path anyway when out, they like to go sit on the concrete in the back garden rather than play in the front where there's loads of grass :roll: But yes I'll leave it for a while thankyou

And yeah it was my grandma that used it, she absolutely loves gardening and does it constantly and she specifically avoided doing the back garden because that's where I pick dandelions for the rabbits. It is really a tiny amount on the path and its not often I can let them free range anyway so she wont stop doing it

If she's still got the packet, try reading the back it might say or it will have the manufacturers on and you can contact them and ask :)

Back