• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice - Intermittent digestive issues

Squishybunny

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone, I don't regularly post, just lurk and enjoy reading the posts so sorry your asking for something from nothing.

I am getting to the end of my rope and just worrying constantly, so need an external perspective.

I have a 6+ year old female (spayed) lop, who over the last three months or so has started to have digestive upsets. She has previously never been sick or even had a hint of tummy issues or any other ailment for that matter. It started with abdominal pain and guts gurgling like a blocked drain, which were treated with Painkillers, gut stimulants etc. She recovered within 36 hours and continued to be a happy bunny. I washed everything, checked the food supplies, hadn't done anything different for the last 6 years of keeping her. About a month later, it all happened again. This time she started over producing her cecotropes (sp) in the few day before her fully symptoms started. She was again treated with pain relief and gut stimulants. She recovered again within 36hrs. I reduced their veg, thinking that all the excess poops were veg related.

Anyway this is the fourth time of going through all this except this time it is slightly different.

I noticed that she produced a liquid cecotrope at around 8.45 one morning. This being very unusual, I contacted the vet immediately. When the vet was looking at her, she couldn't find anything really wrong with her. She wasn't gassy or very tender. She was initially treated with a painkiller and a gut stimulant. She was happy eating hay, grass, dried herbs etc but wasn't really interested in pellets or treats, was pooping and weeing and just happy hopping round the house. The vet suggested that she wasn't eating her poops, because of back pain and the continue treating her with a painkiller, but suggested that it would be a good thing to start worming them.

The following morning she was pretty much fine, didn't want pellet food, but was happy to eat everything else. At around that same time as previous she did another liquidy eating poop. The poops over the last few day have been getting progressively back to looking like regular eating poops but are still numerous (at least 3/4 a day) and not in the bunch of wet grapes formation normally seen, more like a person poo. She seems Ok, in herself. She is hopping around, but her eating and drinking has reduced slightly and she has turned her nose up at anything pellet like. She only nibbled the edges of a fenegrek crunchy that she would normally gobble up and then go a steal the rest of Doug's.

Her teeth have been checked a lot in the last few months, with nothing causing trauma to the mouth and a good incisor match up.

I have now run out of ideas and awaiting the vet to ring me back to know what to do next. I think I will push for her to do a fecal float to look for parasites.

Many Thanks

Back